Eheim Ecco 2236....noisey?

BlueRam

Reaction score
I have just brought the above external canister becuase a lot of people say that the Eheim canisters are very quiet and that you have to put your ear right against the canister to know they are on. Well, I am sitting 10 feet away from it and I can hear it humming away. Its not really load but I did not expert to hear it. Is there something wrong with my one or are the Ecco's not as good? I would be interested to hear what others think.

Many thanks for any help.

How loud is "loud" ? My 2234 (same head as yours) runs a LOT quieter than the internal it replaced ! I always kept having to check it was on for weeks after the changeover !
I can hear mine when the TV is off, but our kittens purr is wayyy louder ! :lol:

Try resiting it a little, if its in a cabinet, or on a shelf you may get vibration - pick it up, see if its any quieter... failing that, are you sure theres no air in there still ?

It seems a little quieter today so maybe it needs a little time to settle down. I have to say, I thought it would be silient!

I found with both my eHeims that a small tea-towel or small towel under it made it MUCH more silent (the cabinet was vibrating with it :p). Also, if you have air in the filter it tends to make noise. Check that your intake pipes aren't sucking air in, (either from air-bubbles in the tank, or from a small leak in the pipework). To get rid of air in the filter you have 2 options:
-wait for it to dissolve and get carried away by the water
-shake the filter to "aid" it in dissolving :p

Michele

my 2026 is audible. it did rattle a bit to begin with now but that has gone, i assume it was air in the filter
However I can still hear the hum of the motor/impeller, it is by no means silent, especially at night when I turn off the PC to go to bed, I can hear the hum quite clearly then

tilt it to the left then to the right.... to help remove any trapped air...

If its a new Filter, give it a few nocks when its running thatll shift all the trapped air in the filter pads and media.

joecoral,

you sum it up nicely, it is the impeller not trapped air that is makeing the noise and I am surprised how noisy they are!

Thanks for all the help

joecoral,

you sum it up nicely, it is the impeller not trapped air that is makeing the noise and I am surprised how noisy they are!

Thanks for all the help

Should not be "noisy" at all, I suspect theres something wrong....

My 2236 is silent, you wouldnt know it was running if it wasn't for the gurgling water from the spraybar

With the tank I recently got from a colleague, there was an Eheim 2213. I'd never used an external filter before so was a bit concerned about setting it up. First attempt and it was VERY loud but then I did it again, time time emptying all the water from the hoses and filter itself, plugging it all in and then sucking on the output pipe, the cannister very quickly filled with water and it started coming out the other end with no noise at all, it was great! I've occasionally had to pull the output pipe out of the water just to check it really is running.

Most reactions

Back