Eheim 2213 Classic

Cactusface

Reaction score
Hi All,
As you might see I'm new here. Many years ago I kept/bred lots of fresh-water fish in about 4 tanks. For the last few years just a Juwel 130L tank/stand. But having got a little board? with model making and electronics (a micro-controller for Tank temp, lights, etc, not too difficult) I am taking an interest in FISH again.

My old Fluval 205 filter/pump as failed so I'm looking at the Eheim 2213 which I also think is the Classic 250, this I like very much. I have two options a basic kit or a plus kit that includes taps and spray bar. I can only think that the taps really are needed for media changes, etc. The spray bar will I hope oxygenate the water, depending how I use it! I like the idea of the water traveling thro' the canister from bottom to top, not sure the Fluval 205 always did this?? (could be a short cut across the top?) How do the Eheim double taps work, do they just pull apart when needed?

I really would like to hear your advice, especially if you have the Eheim 2213!

Kind regards

Mel aka Cactusface

I have a 2213 and the 2217 in my setup and I have never had a issue with my 2213 ( that I've had for 3 years ) an the double tap is for removing your canister when it comes to media change and cleaning the media an they are a god send as you don't have to remove all the pipe work just the canister I couldn't highly recommend this filter enough.

I'm using the spray bar to help airation.

Defo a good buy if you choose to get it

Hi basboi85,
Many thanks for a prompt reply, Took a trip to my nearest fish shop this afternoon, they had an Eheim 2213 (£75), but looking on the box it says the taps are not included, but an optional extra! So I have one internet dealer offering me the kit for £44.90 (Zooplus) and another offering the same, but saying that 2 double taps and spray bar are included for £59.99 (Swells) both carriage free. Anyone dealt with these people before?

How did you buy yours and what did you get? I don't think there's a kit including taps or am I wrong?

Cactusface..

My filter come with my little 2.5ft tank I got off my old army mate and I'm guessing he paid full wack for them as extras and I'm now looking at getting double taps for my 2217 as it didn't come with any and the cleaning time has tripled in result of not having them.

2213 with taps say 15 mins max and it takes me nearly 40 mins as I have to drain the filter and pipes and then disconnect the filter to try and stop taking all the pipes out the tank.

And my top tip for filling you filter up if you get it is

Once everything is setup ie put into place filter and intake pipe

Suck on the out take pipe ( the one that puts water back in the tank ) as soon as you feel the pressure of air pushing in your mouth immediately take your mouth away and point the pipe into the water or fix it into place where you want it as you WILLl get the tank water in your face/ mouth/ all over the floor.

Then leave for a min to make sure all trapped air has risen then turn your filter on.

If you get a loud noise you'll know it when you hear it ( sounds to me like grinding noise) you have trapped air turn your filter off shake it and repeat this process until it stops Then leave it on to run once noise has stopped.

Your filter should have a quiet humming noise.
Then you should be up and running

Hi,
Thanks for your replies, I had already downloaded the Eheim 2213 manual, they do sell a couple of devices to prime the filter and get it going, but they do also suggest sucking the outlet hose? My old Fluval made a noise when there was air trapped inside, it's more then likely the motor running dry! which is not good for it, so as suggested a bit of shaking or rocking should do it.

I am going to order it today or in the morning which according to Swell, I should get it on Tuesday, I will report back then, when hopefully it will be up and running.

Thanks again.

Hi Folks,
Well the Eheim 2213 turned up yesterday, so I set about getting it up and running. No problems, except I perhaps cut the return hose a bit short. I used the old filter bio media by washing it in tank water and returning the water to the tank, near to the syphon tube. It's been running since yesterday afternoon and all looks fine. The spray-bar does a very good job of oxygenating the water, first time I've used one!

Any hints or useful tips...

I put mine in the middle of the tank and aim the spray to hit the opposite side of the tank about 2 inches below the water line so it creates the water to roll through the tank and the bubbles should go round the whole tank I'll try and find a pic to show you how I do it.

Excuse my drawing as I'm terrible at it bit this is how I have mine but I have 2 externals on my tank and they are setup the same just the other filter intake is on the other side

4F9A9BAF-729C-49DB-96A5-D343EEFEBDEC-5067-0000053802E9C06D.jpg

Hi basboi85,
Yes you draw as well as I do! I have set mine up just the same, except my spray-bar is on the Left, which is the other way around to how the old system worked. I'm on my way out now but will try and get a picture later. I've also moved things around a bit (so looks a mess) and will be ordering some new plants this week....

Hi,
As promised here's a couple of pics, moved things around, but still think more moving needed, once I get some new plants in there!! The Heater and syphon are in the right hand corner behind the Jave ferns.

OK so here's one picture, that image size limit is a bit of a pain!!!

Ok it in the next post.

Regards
Mel.

Attachments

• Tank-1.jpg
    Tank-1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 101
Hi,
Yes looking could do with some really tall plants, I found that the last time I ordered Aponogetums, they did'ent last very long, but years ago no problem, could'ent stop them flowering!! Cripto balansae could be good, don't need bright lights.. a dwarf Cypto up front...

Attachments

• Tank-2.jpg
    Tank-2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 107
Beautiful tank

Here's a couple of mine

2EBF94ED-2994-406A-BBDC-7ADC1109CED9-833-00000047438F822C.jpg

D7FEB545-6461-4827-A707-CB5D450D0341-833-000000474CA14AE7.jpg

Think my 2213 needs a clean as it seems the bubbles aren't hitting the glass as much.

But I'm buying another 2217 do my tank so ill be running

2x 2217,s and 1x 2213

And that should keep my tank nice and clean and keep my fish happy with 2400lph turn over

Hi,
And that's a very nice tank too, what size is it? I am going to try and alter the spray-bar to throw the water further out! I used to know a chap who ran his tanks without any filters at all, but then he only fed his fish 3-4 times a week. While I was waiting for the Eheim I cut down on feeding a bit, suprized how the Swords and Platies started to nibble at the algae on the plants, by the way are they real plants in your tank?

Regards
Mel.

Most reactions

Back