Eheim 2078 3E Problems

ANDERD5

Reaction score
I have an Eheim 2078 that has been a great filter until I disconnected it to tear my tank down and replace all the substrate and start over fresh. I had a Cyanobacteria issue. I was advised by my LFS to bleach the tank after I tore it down. I used a 10:1 solution (water:bleach). After cleaning the tank I added about another 60 gallons of water to my 120 gal tank and turned the filter on to kill any cyanobacteria that may exist in the filter. Now I go to set the tank back up and my filter will not prime. I cannot get it to fill at all. It just cycles a few times and then gives me an error that my pump is off (both the service led and the yellow led under the service led light up). I try to press the primer several times but it will not draw water though the input tube. I did try to fill the filter manually but after the filter was full of water I got the same results. I inspected the pump wheel and the ceramic shaft and everything looks fine. The pre-filter flap is free with no obstructions. Anyone have any ideas? Is it possible the bleach damaged the seals or something worse?

Did you check the impeller shaft, to make sure it is not caked in debris?

Have you got the pipe lever over to the left?

Was the spraybar above the water line when you repeatedly pressed the priming button?

Compared to my 2000EFs, my 2078 is a breeze to get going again.

The output tube was not out of the water. I will try that later. Thanks for the advise but I don't know that it will make a difference as it was doing the same thing even when I filled the filter manually with water then turned it on.

The output tube was not out of the water. I will try that later. Thanks for the advise but I don't know that it will make a difference as it was doing the same thing even when I filled the filter manually with water then turned it on.

Thanks for the help. That is all it took.

Most reactions

Back