Eheim 2075 Or Fluval Fx5

timbruun

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Going to be on a 90 gallon African tank. Overstocked as usual. Currently running 2 AC110 and will probably leave them there at least for a while. The 2075 is $300 and the FX5 is $370.
Which is going to be my best bet.
Thanks in advance.

Edit: The Eheim 2075 comes with media while the FX5 doesn't. Also an additional cost.

I know this is not going to help much but I think you will find people who will give you negatives and positives on both.

But in my time reading threads in this forum and others I think I would say that I have seen more negatives for the fluval compared with Eheim as far as a manufacturer is concerned.

I have neither makes you have mentioned myself. I have a fluval 405 which has served me well since I have had it with no problems.

I do not think this forum has a sticky thread that concerns filters which I think would be useful considering how integral to the hobby they are.

Regards onebto

The new style Fluvals (including the FX5) don't seem to have the problems that the older ones did, at least I haven't seen any owners complaining about them.

I believe the Eheim has a greater media volume, but the Fluval has a much better flow rate. So really, you have to decide what qualities you want the filter to have most of.

Media isn't that expensive, plastic pot scourers are cheap as anything, pond foam isn't overly expensive, there are quite a few ceramic-y things that don't cost loads too.

having had both, i have to give it to the fx5 - it is a beast of a filter. I have two and my friends use them also, xx years later no issues.

solid filter worth the money

having had both, i have to give it to the fx5 - it is a beast of a filter. I have two and my friends use them also, xx years later no issues.

solid filter worth the money

i have an eheim (not the same spec) and its very easy to clean, maintain and mostly very quiet. that was on a 30gal. my current 100gallon i use the fx5. i did look into eheim pro 3 series but i opted for the fx5 (much cheaper) i couldn't justify spending £180 when i got my fx5 for £70. all in all good filter, mainly mechanical filtration, but nhas always keep my water good and i will admit sometimes i miss the odd water change.

I think I would spend the extra and get one of these over an FX5

http://www.fluval-g.com/index.php

I've got a 2075 paired up with a Fluval 405, but if I was just going for the one filter then the FX5 would win hands down.

i had an fx5 my roma 240 which i recently sold, i now have 2 eheim pro 3 2080's on my 7 foot tank.
i can only comment on the 2080 as i have no experience with the 2075 but they are similar, the 2080 is just the next one up.
the eheims are good filters, easy to maintain etc, the fx5 was excellent, i want another to add to my 2 eheims!
the fx5 had a lot better flow rate, the eheims were a bit disappointing in all honesty. the eheims are slightly quieter aswel, but if its flow rate you want than that of the fx5 would over ride the extra humming noise, you can only hear it in a silent room. the fx5 is also about half the price, which is what first tempted me to get mine.
at the end of the day it depends how much you want to spend, you can get the fx5 new for around £130 and the 2075 about £160, if its flow you want id go for the fx5, if its reputation and german build quality go for the eheim!

Most reactions

Back