Eggy Female .....is It Dangerous?

wilsonnw8

Fish Addict
Reaction score
My Female lives next door to the male plakat he displays at her a lot but recently Ive noticed she is a little swollen and eggy and she pufs her gills out and displays back to him. Is it dangerous for her to be carrying eggs and not breeding?

If she can release the eggs on her own, then it should be ok.

But I had a female that I believe died b/c she couldn't. When she died.. she was pretty bloated up with eggs.. and I mean ALOT of eggs.

so should I breed her with my boy he has made a small round bubble nest but he is a plakat and she is a sd perhaps hm? what would I get out of the fry? and is there a chance she will survive?

Thanks guys

I've never lost any females to being egg bound, but if you are worried could you not put her in a separate tank of her own :)

she is in her own tank its just she can see the boys in particular she likes my plakat...

Ahhhh.....so she's being a bit of a flirt then :wub: . You could always put something between so it blocks her view :good:

will her eggs go then? she is really fat one of my friends suggested letting them breed and mainly culling ??

If you have the room for it and have a place that would take the bettas, then you could breed them and then sell/give them away.
I understand why people cull, but if you don't have to, then I wouldn't.

If you don't want to breed her though, I would just do as Netty suggested, and block her view.

Dont agree with breeding an culling but Nettys suggestion is a good one. If she cant release the eggs herself then a bath in Epsom salts may help.

Sometimes they don't reabsorb the eggs into the body and then yes it is very dangerous, they usualy die,two of mine have. If she's still not going down in size tube her in with a male for couple of days and see if he shows interest and starts building a nest. If he can at least squeeze eggs out that will be something. If you don't want babies leave him in the tank whith them. The main urgent thing is to get her to release the eggs.then worry about any babies after.

ok great I will try that, he has built a bubble nest and is waiting under it so I will give it a go and keep all the babies I can afford to! then afterwards will move him from her view
Thanks

put her in a tube first so he gets used to her, don't put her straight in tank. Glass jar or mesh made into a tube or suchlike. Good luck,, i hope he gets the eggs out of her at the very least. Keep us updated.

Most reactions

Back