Eggs

thats great
your going to be over run
well you can always send some my way :hey:

good luck cant wait to see what colour they are i want some blue :drool:

I will give you a shout when they hatch. Some bad news though the batch that was in the main tank have been knocked off of the lid and disappeared into the tank somewhere, :(

Fingers crossed for the other three.

Rich

Aww sorry to hear about one of the clutches :(. I so can't wait to see pics of the snails though!! :D

Hi All,

I am sorry to have to say but, none of the eggs have hatched, I dont think they were fertilised. I went to carry out some maintenance on the tank that they are in and noticed that the clusters did not look too good and there was a strange smell, not really bad but noticeable. Anyway I had a closer look at the clusters and noticed that had pretty much completely dried up. I had a quick look on the Applesnail website and read a couple of items on that site, followed a couple of suggestions and broke open the clusters and there was not a snail anywhere just a lot of smelly fluid. :sad:

Hopefully they will lay again soon and get it right this time. Sorry to those that I promised some snails too but maybe next time.

Rich

Hi All,

I am sorry to have to say but, none of the eggs have hatched, I dont think they were fertilised. I went to carry out some maintenance on the tank that they are in and noticed that the clusters did not look too good and there was a strange smell, not really bad but noticeable. Anyway I had a closer look at the clusters and noticed that had pretty much completely dried up. I had a quick look on the Applesnail website and read a couple of items on that site, followed a couple of suggestions and broke open the clusters and there was not a snail anywhere just a lot of smelly fluid. :sad:

Hopefully they will lay again soon and get it right this time. Sorry to those that I promised some snails too but maybe next time.

Rich

oh so sorry :-( , you will maybe have better luck next time :good: , i think i have read somewhere that the first few times dont hatch .
sharon

Hi sorry to hear they didnt hatch, but I did point out earlier that the first few batches often dont :huh:
One thing I have learned from my own breeding of these guys is they do better in larger tanks.
I had some in a small 8 gallon tank, they laid lots of eggs and non ever hatched. I then bought some more and added them to the 30g corner tank and got results straight away. Happy snails= fertile eggs. Mine are pretty predictable, you see them mating one day, and find eggs the next. But even with my mass breeding and egg laying situation, I only get about 40% hatch rate from the eggs, and probably only about 10% of them survive to grow into adults. Its pretty hit and miss, unless you are breeding them in a snail only tank with crushed coral for gravel (Keeps the calcium high in the water) and I would say at least 10gallons or more as they seem to enjoy space and moving around.

Most reactions

Back