Egg Eaters!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DiddleBug

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My group of corys spawned 6 days ago and then again today.  Thats' fine with me, I just usually remove the eggs so they don't get to eating them. Bu these guys follow behind the female and eat them as she lays!  It's crazy!  My previous male corys would only care about the female.  They would occasionally stumble across the eggs and take a few, but it wasn't bad.  Also, with these corys I used to have, I bought them when they were probably a year at least old.  They had probably gotten some spawning experience before.  

Do you think my young corys are eating their eggs because they are new at this?  Will they stop eating the eggs so readily in a few months?  Or will they do this every time? :(

They may be hungry? I haven't had experience with corys but guppies generally eat less of their fry if they are well fed. Otherwise you could put some more plants in there or swap her or the others into another tank if you really want them?

They are in the tank I want.  And she's been laying the eggs on a bare corner. :/  As far as food, they got 3 meals yesterday, the last one being at 10 pm.  :/

Oh no! I'm no help! You need to tell your fish to stop eating each other and learn some morals ;)

Haha!  :D  Yes, she should know better, being the biggest and smartest (hopefully) fish in the tank! she needs to tell those guys to man up! :)

If anyone has any help or ideas, I'm open.  Should I separate the females and males till they get older?  

Some corys are egg eaters no matter how well fed they are, others leave them alone.
If you really want to get fry you're best removing the eggs as soon as you can

Agree with Lillefish. Males and females of several species will eat their own eggs !!! Seen female Aeneus eating there just laid eggs !!
I'd remove the eggs or the fish to another tank.

The trick is to feed them as they are spawning, thats what i do and it works for me..

So that won't get them in the snacky mood?  :p  I have tried this before but the adults weren't into eating eggs already, so I don't know if it worked. 

Most reactions

Back