Edited - Think I Better Call It: Ev'thing You Need To Start A Sw T

COSTS-
im doing costs based on my tank which is a 4x18x18. i will list every single cost involved in getting my tank to today

Clearly said it was based on setting up her own tank. I'm sure some locations might be cheaper and if you shop around for anything long enough you will find a cheaper price. As a general guide for the average person who is going to buy a majority of it from the highstreet or LFS it looked pretty close to me.

Having a list of things you are likely to need and at worst an overestimated budget is very useful for someone to have from the get go as at least they know in advanced it is going to cost a lot of money.

So far my costing has taken me to

£747.87 for my tank setup. Althru this includes many acces and stuff that arnt really needed for a barebone setup.
Juwel vision 260.

and £108.25 for LS and 5kg of LR.
5kg LR
and 9 fishes.

I'll post the complete breakdown and my UK buying guide soon. (When I can be bovthered.. Malcolm in the middle is on.)

stick to looking after kagaroo's. that's way more than what the stuff in the uk would be.

lol :hyper:

(no offense )

but seriously, it is expensive but a lot of things can be bought second hand and save a ton of cash. good post though, OP

stick to looking after kagaroo's. that's way more than what the stuff in the uk would be.

i dont care what your intent, i find this comment very offensive. especially considering you cant even spell it properly. not to mention the fact that i cant even understand the second half of the sentence

what gives me any less right to own fish???? if it wasnt for australia and the GBR, there would be a lot less fish/corals out there for everyone to enjoy

tsk tsk for such a newbie being so rude :angry:

stick to looking after kagaroo's.
Totally uncalled for comment, give the lass a break weither or not you agree with her pricing, the point is Yes! marines are pretty damm expensive and the list provides you with an insight of what you could be letting yourself in for, not to mention it's also a pretty good purchasing checklist.
At least she took the time to write something down for others to criticise.
Regards
BigC

you said what i was thinking. for some people, this is reality (fortunately now i have my own shop, i can buy everything wholesale now). for some, they may get some things cheaper but the rest the same etc etc it is based on my case and i know others could do it a little cheaper, however, i look at it as a worst case scenario type thing. if you plan for more, its a nice surprise when you have a bunch leftover. having said all this, for people in oz and indeed in my city, many of these prices are the cheapest they could get. for a few other things, yes they could look on ebay etc but i guess most fish people already knew that without it being blasted through the thread.

and yes, it took me quite some time to do and for those who have found it has helped, im glad. for those who have felt the need to nasty, i didnt do it for you. i did it for people who would find it useful. must everything come down to nastiness and childish name calling/carrying on????

P.S. thank you to everyone who has seen it for what it is

Take no notice Fishlette, you've done a great job! :good:
Some people are put off because of the expense but to be honest, it's well worth it and like you said, many things can be brought second-hand.
We brought our 3ft tank for £300 which included overhead lighting, skimmer, filter, heater etc. We managed to get the live rock cheap, only paying £5 a kilo so overall cost of it was £100.
A friend of ours was selling a V200 skimmer and UV steriliser, both for £30 so we brought them off him. The coral sand was only a few pounds and things like corals, fish etc. we've brought bit by bit. We have been lucky in the fact that we have got these cheap as well.
It can be done a lot cheaper if you keep an eye out but it is good for people to know what sort of price they would be looking at to set a tank up.

i dont care what your intent, i find this comment very offensive. especially considering you cant even spell it properly. not to mention the fact that i cant even understand the second half of the sentence

what gives me any less right to own fish???? if it wasnt for australia and the GBR, there would be a lot less fish/corals out there for everyone to enjoy

tsk tsk for such a newbie being so rude :angry:

one.
it was a joke
two.
typo
three.
i mentioned that you spent a lot more than what things would be in the UK
four.
please don't find it offensive, kangaroo's are nice animals. i use to watch skippy saving little kids on tv
five.
to anyone who wants to justify the reality that marine fish keeping is expensive, yes this is true, but let's be honest and say she would have been ripped off by UK standards in terms of pricing. for any fish keepers wanting to change to a marine set up, please don't be put off by the amount she spent. it can be done from 1500 UK pounds.
six.
nice set up :) you have every right to be a fish keeper.

poor australians, next to the biggest reef in the world and it is still SOO expensive over there....

yea that doesnt really make too much sence? and btw uk tax (VAT) is higher then you aussies at 17.5%!, EU at 19%! compared to your pretty damn low 10% so what is your excuse?

ok so aus prices are dearer than here, i think we have got the idea, but surely that means that someone who is willing to pay those prices shouldnt be looked down on - doesnt sound like a whim buy to me - a lot of thought has been put into, not to mention the post that started all this.
If nothing else be greatful you dont live in aus and let someone who is willing to, pay the prices that are charged there

xXx

what the heck you on about?? I'm not suggesting we look down on her or tell her not to keep marine. Read my comments properly.

All I am asking is why is it so expensive???

COSTS-
im doing costs based on my tank which is a 4x18x18. i will list every single cost involved in getting my tank to today

Clearly said it was based on setting up her own tank. I'm sure some locations might be cheaper and if you shop around for anything long enough you will find a cheaper price. As a general guide for the average person who is going to buy a majority of it from the highstreet or LFS it looked pretty close to me.

Having a list of things you are likely to need and at worst an overestimated budget is very useful for someone to have from the get go as at least they know in advanced it is going to cost a lot of money.

my interpretation of her last paragraph would suggest that you need a lot of money. even after 3 months she mentioned that she spent 300-400 aus dollars. the title was about the reality of the costs of saltwater tanks, which i think her tank is way more than an over estimate. if i was to think about getting a marine tank, her post would put me off. she emphasises a lot on the costs which i think most will feel is just too much when possibly things can be done cheaper. by rephrasing the title to the cost of my salt water tank, then perhaps i wouldn't be discussing about the costs now. i want to make other readers aware that it is or can be cheaper than her own one. her title was generalised too much for me when the content was more individual. a great fish keeper might be out there yet may avoid marine because they may get the impression that you have to spend a fortune!

After currency conversion:

5,324.00 AUD

4,549.98 USD

2,252.47 GBP (great brittain pounds)

3,311.22 EUR

May not be that expensive after conversions, just noticed the US dollar isnt doing so well....

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Most reactions

Back