Easy way to change gravel to sand?

AmyKieran

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Currently I have a blue coloured gravel in my African cichlid tank. I’m looking to change it to sand. What’s the easiest way to change this to sand? And am I right in saying it’s just play sand?

Thanks

In North America yes, I've seen it recommended and use it myself, quickrete play sand, and that's the very specific brand and type suggested here. On your side of the pond however, I'm sure a knowledgeable member of the forum can confirm for you which brand/type and where to get it from.

I prefer the Quickrete Pool Filter Sand

The easiest way to switch substrates is to totally empty the tank, and start over

UK members have mentioned Argos Play Sand (if I've finally got the name correct). The Quikrete Play Sand is available in NA but not I believe in UK.

Another thing to consider, water parameters. Play sand is inert, so no trouble with GH/KH/pH, but if you have African rift lake cichlids, some aquarists use the rift lake sands which are calcareous and thus increase GH/KH/pH. This may not matter if your source water is suited, but it can help if the GH/KH/pH are low in your source water. If your water is hardish and basic the inert play sand will be fine.

It i best to set up a temporary tank for the fish so you can do a thorough job of the change.

If you keep African Rift Lake cichlids, then get beach sand or some other substrate used for marine tanks. It will be calcium based and help raise the pH and GH a bit for the fish.

If you are keeping soft water cichlids from Africa, then get the play sand because it won't raise the pH.

For Africans I have used pool filter sand, cheap and not too dusty, I remember just rinsing it and it settled withing a few hours. As far as changing it, it can get messy, especially if you are keeping the fish in while doing it, probably less stress on the fish to move them temporarily and then doing the change. The pool sand I used back then was white, got to admit it looked pretty nice.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back