Easy Inverts

Robert247

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi I have just started cycling my tank over the past week and have just added 3kg of live rock and i was wondering whether there is any easy to care for and hardy invertebrates for a FOWLR setup I dont realy want a reef tank and dont realy want to have to upgrade my lighting or water flow.

At the moment i have a fluval 304 and the standard internal fluval filter with a 600 powerhead on a 125litre. The lighting is a 18w 600mm/26mm blue moon actinic and a standard day glow (same size)
Is there anything I can put in in the way of shrimps, crabs, anemones maybe small polyps?

There is a couple of anemones on my live rock but i think they are going to die as i put the rock in as i am cycling it and there is very heigh ammonia and nitrite levels.

uhh, hermit crabs? copepods, aipstasia (so easy to take care of that they are pest and can kill other things in your tank)? Clean-up crew. You shouldnt put anything in though (besides live rock), wait until your cycle is over

And those anemones arent going to die lol, they are probably aipstasia, they are going to do the opposite of die, they are going to take over your tank and kill things.

This is a pic of them its not very clear and i will try and get a better one are they realy that bad?

Attachments

• pest.JPG
    pest.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 39
hmm that one doesnt look like an aipstasia, couldnt tell you what it is though.

Aiptasia_sp2.jpg

Thats what they look like, sometimes they are more "glassy" and not as brown (I think, have only seen pictures).

i take back what i said about aiptasia (but stay on the lookout for them since they are very common). When you poke them do they fold up or do they retract?

erm its hard to say they sort of retract all there tentacles in while still bieng slightly open they do fold in slightyl

Anyway we can get a better pic? I can say it's NOT aiptasia but can't say what it IS

Can you try uploading it with something like photobucket so that the picture is a little larger and a little higher resolution?

Hi I have just started cycling my tank over the past week and have just added 3kg of live rock and i was wondering whether there is any easy to care for and hardy invertebrates for a FOWLR setup I dont realy want a reef tank and dont realy want to have to upgrade my lighting or water flow.At the moment i have a fluval 304 and the standard internal fluval filter with a 600 powerhead on a 125litre. The lighting is a 18w 600mm/26mm blue moon actinic and a standard day glow (same size)Is there anything I can put in in the way of shrimps, crabs, anemones maybe small polyps?There is a couple of anemones on my live rock but i think they are going to die as i put the rock in as i am cycling it and there is very heigh ammonia and nitrite levels.
Aiptasia (or however you spell it) are the biggest nightmare ever !When we started keeping marines we thought they were lovely and looked fantastic.Then they took over !!!!!!!!!!!The Mrs buys a Tub of Joe's Juice (or the equivalent) every two weeks just to keep on top of the little sods !!!!Kill them !Kill them all !Kill them now !!!!!

Aiptasia (or however you spell it) are the biggest nightmare ever !When we started keeping marines we thought they were lovely and looked fantastic.Then they took over !!!!!!!!!!!The Mrs buys a Tub of Joe's Juice (or the equivalent) every two weeks just to keep on top of the little sods !!!!Kill them !Kill them all !Kill them now !!!!!

Get yourself a peppermint shrimp or two. They will actively hunt for aiptasia. If you tank is suitable, you could also try a copperbanded butterfly, although they can be a bugger to feed once the aiptasia run out.

LOL...reminds me of a scene from Mars Attacks, where the war mongering general is banging his fist on the table in front of the president (played by Jack Nicholson)

'We've got to nuke 'em and we've got to nuke 'em now!!!!'

LOL :lol:

Most reactions

Back