Easy Fish To Breed

cane76

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
ive got a spare fully cycled 2foot tank and i would like to start breeding fish.not really bothered which kind as they will be feeders the bigger the better.i dont want to have to seperate the fry either so a fish that looks after the fry would be good.any ideas?am i asking for to much

i believe endlers are so rare that people have a fit about keeping them with guppies b/c of hybridization and potentially contaminating the gene pool...i don't think using a rare livebarer as a feeder fish is a good idea...i would go for guppies if I had to pick...don't like the idea of it, oh and by the way there are not many livebearers that take care of their fry...platys, swords, mollys, and guppys eat their fry, maybe not all of them but in general they will...and if they don't they do not look after the fry

mostly bubblenesters and mouthbrooders (not livebearers) looks after fry better. and they will even eat the fry. the only sure bet is to use breeding traps to get the fry then put them into the main fry tank. i would suggest getting a bunch of the feeder guppies from a lfs and breed them. you will need to feed more to larger fish but they do the same job and are $1 US for like a random scoop of "8" (usually you get more). that is what i'm going to do when i get a tank set up for larger fish. get these feeder guppies and breed them to have a continuous source of livefoods for my larger fish.

i hope this helps

Meh I said endlers as from what I know they dont eat their fry. However that being said yes they are hard to come by but well worth it if you can find any.

Guppies are another good option though they would eat their fry so if you really dont want to seperate them then put lots of plants for the fry to hide in.

Seperating is usually the better option though mind you.

Most reactions

Back