Easiest way to clean new rocks to put in tank?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nness

Reaction score
I recently bought some rocks from an aquarium store and was wondering if there's a safe and easy way to clean them? I've seen so many different things, some say to just scrub in hot water and rinse it well but others say to use bleach or boil. I don't want to boil the rocks because I've heard it can make them explode and I'd rather not take the risk, and I worry about using bleach because I don't want to risk any bleach getting into the water even if I were to rinse over and over I'd be paranoid but would simply scrubbing with hot water and rinsing be safe enough? What's everyone's favourite methods? I've been soaking them for about 3 days now so would this make them clean enough?

Personally I would never use chemicals like that on anything involved with tanks. No soap, no detergent, no bleach, no nothing. If a rock I have is particularly pigmented and bleeds out when I run it under water, I dump it (or all the rocks I have) in a large bucket of warm/hot water and leave it to steep for a few hours. Then I do it again if it's still dirty/bleeding, until the water it's in is clear.

If they were dry, just hose them off and put them in the tank.

If they were in a freshwater aquarium, hose them off and put them in a bucket of tap water. Add a heap of salt. Add so much salt it no longer dissolves. Then leave it to soak for a couple of days before rinsing them off with tap water and putting them in the tank.

If they were in a marine (salt water) tank, rinse them off with tap water and put them in the tank.

If they were dry, just hose them off and put them in the tank.

If they were in a freshwater aquarium, hose them off and put them in a bucket of tap water. Add a heap of salt. Add so much salt it no longer dissolves. Then leave it to soak for a couple of days before rinsing them off with tap water and putting them in the tank.

If they were in a marine (salt water) tank, rinse them off with tap water and put them in the tank.
You really love your salt, don't you? Is there anything you can't fix with it?

Plain white vinegar and hot water, rinse well.

I recently bought some rocks from an aquarium store and was wondering if there's a safe and easy way to clean them? I've seen so many different things, some say to just scrub in hot water and rinse it well but others say to use bleach or boil. I don't want to boil the rocks because I've heard it can make them explode and I'd rather not take the risk, and I worry about using bleach because I don't want to risk any bleach getting into the water even if I were to rinse over and over I'd be paranoid but would simply scrubbing with hot water and rinsing be safe enough? What's everyone's favourite methods? I've been soaking them for about 3 days now so would this make them clean enough?

Yikes, you are right do not use chemicals for cleaning anything you put in your fish tank. Here is what I do:

Cleaning:
First, put all the rocks in a closed bag so no water can get out. Fill with hot water (very hot) and let sit for two minutes. Come back and unload that water, continue doing this step until the water comes out clear. Get a bag that allows leaking and rinse the rocks under lukewarm water.

To place:
Make sure all fish are out of the tank and the tank has been rinsed down with warm water. Place bag of rocks in tank and then pour rocks gently into the tank. Move around evenly (or not, depending on your own preference) and place decor/plants in the gravel. Fill tank up with water, at least to the minimum water level line on your filter. Then put fish back in the tank (using a net or gently pouring them in).

Hope this helps!

They’re not likely to be a problem and cleaning them is just a precaution. I just give them a quick gentle scrub with warm water.

Most reactions

Back