Easiest Way To Clean A Fluval 306 Cannister Filter?

KrystaK

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Well it's that time of the year, it's been about 4 months since I set up my Fluval 306 Cannister filter on my 30 gal tak (The filter can handle 70 - it was a black friday sale and I couldn't resist.) 
I've been debaiting this problem since I set the filter up - how to clean it/change media. I reckon the foam at least needs to be changed at this point (That's all I'll be changing) But I'm not sure how to go about it. I've found this filter to be quite finicky  about it's placement. Plus it's got 10 lbs of water in it and it'll probably be quite difficult to get out from behind my tank.

So does anyone have any advice? This will be my first time trying to clean it/replace some media and I don't want to get water everywhere while I do it. 

No need to change or replace any media 'cept say any carbon you may be using, just a case of cleaning the muck from existing sponges by swilling in either removed tank water, or dechlorinated water,

I still have foam in my filter that was in my original tank and has therefore been running for about ten years; you don't need to chuck any of it out. As KirkyArcher says, you need only squeeze it out in tank water then put it back in. If you have carbon, take that out, throw it in the bin and replace it with more foam. All I have in my FX5 filter is foam plus one basket with inert ceramic pieces in it. Small particles are taken out by a Fluval U4 internal filter that has a couple of pieces of foam surrounded by fine filter floss, which is thrown out weekly.

However difficult it is to get out, you will have to do it as after four months I expect the impeller could do with a clean, as could your hoses. Filters need regular maintenance, like it or not, so it's best to start with a regime and tweak it until it suits you and the filter and fish.

Whatever you do, bear in mind that while you can actually see your fish, your filter bacteria are just as important and you should treat them like unseen pets -- all mine have names! (no they don't, that would be silly). :)

Good to know about not having to throw out the floss :) 
I've had serious trouble getting the lid off the filter before, as in I've had to take a screw driver to it and try and lever it off because of the seal it creates.... 
Also good to know about the filter carbon. Too bad I bought extra in preparation for having to replace it eventually :p Maybe I can sell it to someone....

NNNNOOOOO!  Just unclip the catches so that they are pointing away from the canister, then apply a slight downward pressure, this leverage will be enough to break the seal between lid and canister, carbon is always good to have on hand should you need to remove meds.  :)

KrystaK said:
Good to know about not having to throw out the floss
smile.png

I've had serious trouble getting the lid off the filter before, as in I've had to take a screw driver to it and try and lever it off because of the seal it creates.... 
Also good to know about the filter carbon. Too bad I bought extra in preparation for having to replace it eventually
tongue2.gif
Maybe I can sell it to someone....

might not be anything to do with this make of filter,but when removing the lid make sure all valves controlling the flow of water are open first this will solve the problem if it's anything like my Eheim canister.

With the Fluval 300 series the whole valve unit is removed :)

Yes, follow KirkyArchers advice (he keeps getting in before me). When I hads a Fluval 305 years ago I too had trouble and it was a few goes with my fingernails under the lip before I found the filter had a removal device. Lift the lips to open then press down on the bits that originally  clipped over the lid and hey presto, the motor unit pops off with no effort at all.

Thanks for the advice on the lifting, between that and it weighing a solid 10 lbs when full I'm not looking forward to cleaning it :p 

I have a 405, and it is a mongrel of a thing lol I clean it only when the flow slows down. It gives me trouble every time i have to clean it, horrid to prime and horrid to restart, is VERY prone to breaking the impeller covers, and going by the amount my LFS keeps in stock of this part compared to other spare parts, i'd say its a quite common problem. I dont find it terribly heavy to move though, i have a different canister that is huge and VERY heavy, i put it in a box with wheels and wheel it as close to the sink as possible, then i only need to carry it a short distance

While i detest having to do maintenance on it, i will say once its running it is pretty good unit

Odd, I didn't find my 305 to be any trouble at all. I used to turn off the vales and leave the pipes with water in them so that when I reattached the filter I would just open the valves and the filter would fill up; no priming at all.

My present large filter is a Fluval FX5 and when I need to get it from under the tank I have to lift out about 14 kgs-worth of filter and water. Fotunately lifting things is part of my job so it's not really a problem.

Lucky you...i can leave water in the hoses, makes no difference. I've taken to filling the canister prior to hooking it back up to the tank, easier, but its still not as simple as my other canisters. I personally would not buy another Fluval.

"change the foam"??? I nearly choked on my coffee!!!

Most reactions

Back