Easiest beginner plants?

Squishiebabe

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've read the pinned topic on here about common plants, and their requirements, but I'd like to know by others' experience, which need the least light, and little care, but also arent expensive. Thanks.

Java moss and java fern are probably two of the cheapest, quickest growing, less-light requiring plants i can think of! There are hyrgrophilias, anubias, ambulias, vallis, or some easy floating plants are duckweed and riccia. But they are only the ones ive had experience with! :)

Most of them are not expensive, except maybe riccia. They take little care. Perhaps only trimming evry fortnight! :nod:

bettaboi said:
i have duck weed and it grows like crazy i have a TON of it and need to harvest its blocking my light lol
Remove it once a week or maybe more with a net and you should be able to keep it under control! :nod:

I like mine. Even though alot of people say its a pain, i find it useful! :)

The easiest plants IME are Java Moss, Hornwort, Anacharis, Anubias (doesn't matter which type), Moneywort, and most cryptocoryne species. :thumbs:

There are hyrgrophilias, anubias, ambulias, vallis, or some easy floating plants are duckweed and riccia.
Is riccia really a low-light, easy to grow plant? :blink: My hard to kill plants have been Anubias nanas, watersprite, and crypts. :p

I have several anubias nana plants and love the look of them. The one down side to slower growing plants like those is that they are more susceptible to algae on the leaves, especially black hair algae.

I agree, I do have a very high pH aswell. Anything else easy, I like the look of vallis, and just sort of weedy plants that grow up ( Not really that fond of the 'carpet' look of some of those plants)

Hornwort is realy easy to keep. At the moment its growing so fast i'm having to trim it nearly everyother day- its really easy to propogate as well. Ive had so much ive had to bin some of it-seems such a waste

FishSticks said:
There are hyrgrophilias, anubias, ambulias, vallis, or some easy floating plants are duckweed and riccia.
Is riccia really a low-light, easy to grow plant? :blink:
It depends on where its situated really. You will need very strong lighting if you place it down on the floor of your tank, but if you leave it to float, it grows fine with low-medium lighting.

It does benefit from co2 aswell. :)

Most reactions

Back