Early Plannnig Stage For First Nano Reef

puffcandy

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm currently at the very early stages of planning to turn my fresh water tropical tank (110l) in to a nano reef.
My current thinking is a reef with fish using only live rock for filtration and a couple of powerheads for circulation & flow.
Any stocking plans obviously depend on lighting. I'm considering using 2 x Aquaray 600 reef blue LED units, will these be good enough?
Tank dimensions are 80cm X 35cm X 45cm 110liters.

Many thanks.

A filter will really help, even though its not needed. Instead of a filter you might want to use refugium. What do ou want ro have in it?

Why don't you want to use a filter?:good:

Hi,

As I say still very early stages, the reading I've been doing suggests that with enough live rock there's no need for a filter.
Obviously I would bow to superior knowledge.

A filter will really help, even though its not needed. Instead of a filter you might want to use refugium. What do ou want ro have in it?

Yeah I was looking at the HOB filter / refugium conversion on here.
Ok I'll do that if you guys think it will really help.

Been thinking about a clown fish or a pair as my wee boy loves them... Still researching what other fish I may like / have room for.
I also would like to start with some "hardy" soft corals and maybe working up from there if the lighting is good enough.

A filter is helpful, i have filters on both my nano reefs. You can use live rock as a filter, i have 10 pounds in my nano reef. As for the clowns, they are wonderful. I have 3. Beware, however, that pairs are very aggressive insmall tanks. If you want to add a pair, add them last. Your light will be able to sustain some corals. You will want to start with Zoanthids and Mushrooms.

Live rock doesn't filter large particulate matter (poo etc) out of the water, which if build up, raise ammonia. This would be especially siginificant in a heavily stocked tank :good:

As a newbie myself I've learned that there is no single approach, which can be a bit confusing initially. Read the journals to see how people have gone about it.

At this stage it's probably a good idea to decide if you want to sump or not. There are advantages to a sump but it is not necessary. If you have a filter you can use it or not. I use one for chemical ( contains carbon and phosphate remover) and mechanical ( filter floss) filtration. Some people don't use any filter.

Once you get your tank up and running you can think about other filtration/addition methods and whether you want to use or not. UV sterilisation, phosphate Calcium reactors, protein skimmer, cheato etc. It seems there are endless things you can do. Everybody does their own thing. The only limitation is where to put it all
laugh.gif
and cost. A protein skimmer is popular so maybe think where it can be placed now. But then again some people don't us a skimmer. It's your path to walk.
good.gif

Most reactions

Back