Dyed Fish Retailers

Should aquatic shops that sell dyed fish be named and shamed?

• Yes! Shame them!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No! It's not fair to the retailer!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
See it like this.

You want to adopt a child, you see which children are available, and then you see one in particular who has been beaten severly by someone and they are scared. Do you say f**k that i dont want that child (because of its scars), i want a normal one? Same applies for fish. Its not the child or fishes fault, why should they suffer. Doesnt mean you should not get them

The reason you don't buy these fish is because if you buy them, the retailers and the mutilators have made a profit from doing it, if they make a profit, they will mutilate some more :rolleyes:

If you adopt an abused child, the abusive parents will not profit from it and are unlikely to go and have more children and abuse them for more profit, so your comparison is way off the mark.

I'm with Name them :good: Not to shut them down, just to make them realise that the profits which can be made from selling the odd painted/dyed fish could be wiped out through loss of other business :nod: If they lose profit due to stocking of these mutilated fish, they will no longer stock them, if the lfs don't buy them, the people mutilating them will not be making a profit so will slow down or hopefully stop mutilating them in the first place :rolleyes:

The problem is to avoid slander/libel you could have no "opinions" as they would be attributed to TFF and William which is why neither he nor even PFK have dared do it :crazy: though I think a list of shops simply stating " the following shops/retailers stock dyed fish:" Even that could lead to problems if an lfs was named incorrectly, they could have a case to say they are losing business due to incorrect information on the site putting off customers, which could lead to a compo claim.

Arfie

To be honest, if somebody said "such-and-such shop sell dyed fish" - that is definitely not libel.

It is merely stating a fact.

However, if somebody said "such-and-such shop sell dyed fish, isn't it disgusting, we should boycott them, they're so cruel"....then yes, there would be grounds for libel.

I think that by *indifferently* pointing out which shops sell dyed fish is just the same as naming which shops sell other "special" fish - as often seen in the oddball section.

In fact, I believe there is one about MA right now, naming them and saying that they sell a certain type of fish.

If a thread were made where it was purely to say "this shop sells dyed fish", with no comment about whether we think it's cruel or not, then there would be absolutely nothing libellous in it at all.

Simply pointing out facts that cannot be argued...what they have in stock, they have in stock! :)

Can't argue with that. It simply either warns people against, or directs people to the shop, depending on their personal opinions.

Well seems like no one actually believes me that their is a lazer that dyes fish here is a picture that proves it.

fish.jpg

I voted no. It would not be an effective way to stop the selling of dyed fish.

Shaming and boycotting is false self-assurance that you're doing something to stop the selling of dyed fish. You would stop them from having potential revenue. But they'll make more selling the dyed fish.

Would you stop buying from your favorite LFS if they one day had a tank of dyed fish? That would be an interesting question.

The best way for you to stop the selling of dyed fish is to push for legistation that does such a thing. But people are lazy and won't go to those ends. They'll most likely just boycott so that they believe they're doing something to stop the trade while they are actually not.

My favorite fish store sells a few dyed fish (glassfish mainly) and I still shop there. They keep their tanks up, and clean too. While it surprised me that they carried those fish to begin with I will still shop there. Me not shopping their hurts me as a hobbyist more than it hurts them as a LFS

Well seems like no one actually believes me that their is a lazer that dyes fish here is a picture that proves it.

fish.jpg

You honestly believe that those colours have been etched on with a laser? :blink:

Those are painted parrot fish, they are coloured that way by the method of acid dip and painting i described a few posts up, first the whole fish is dipped in a dye to acheive the yellow back ground and then the chinese lettering is painted on before the fish is dipped into the second solution to seal it in.

There is no magic laser that colours fish.

Most reactions

Back