Dwarf Puffers

newtotropical

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all,
Im just about to collect a 25ltr AquaCube that will be home to 1 or 2 Dps. Any infornation regarding Plants to use, substarte etc would be most welcome!!

Also if you think 2 would be ok in here?

i personally wouldnt add 2 in there, a small amount of room will probally cause aggression and one being bullies by the other.i have all mine in single 5 gallon tanks.they all do pretty well and are happy living on their own.any substrate will be fine, gravel or sand as they are going to be no bottom dwellers no need for anything special.i use sand and my puffer seems to be fine with that. as for the plants, i just used any i liked the look of, as my tank was cycled (dwarves need perfect water quality) and it already had live plants in, i just left it, for 1 puffer, a nice rock formation looks good, strong plants are good to have, as are quick growers such as java moss, java fern, riccia, etc.
with 2 i guessing you would need lots of plants and rocks to reduces aggression. live plants help the water quality aswell.
dwarf pufers have lots of personality and need mental stimulation, lots of plants, rocks, decor is good for them, try moving a few objects around as it will explore its new layout.also hide bloodworms by plant bases and in caves so the puffer has to look for them, it keeps them active and busy. adding a few common snails is also good for them, i usally add a handful while im doing a water change every few weeks or so, they hide amongst leaves and rocks and the puffer will eat them as he fined them.

i personally wouldnt add 2 in there, a small amount of room will probally cause aggression and one being bullies by the other.i have all mine in single 5 gallon tanks.they all do pretty well and are happy living on their own.any substrate will be fine, gravel or sand as they are going to be no bottom dwellers no need for anything special.i use sand and my puffer seems to be fine with that. as for the plants, i just used any i liked the look of, as my tank was cycled (dwarves need perfect water quality) and it already had live plants in, i just left it, for 1 puffer, a nice rock formation looks good, strong plants are good to have, as are quick growers such as java moss, java fern, riccia, etc.
with 2 i guessing you would need lots of plants and rocks to reduces aggression. live plants help the water quality aswell.
dwarf pufers have lots of personality and need mental stimulation, lots of plants, rocks, decor is good for them, try moving a few objects around as it will explore its new layout.also hide bloodworms by plant bases and in caves so the puffer has to look for them, it keeps them active and busy. adding a few common snails is also good for them, i usally add a handful while im doing a water change every few weeks or so, they hide amongst leaves and rocks and the puffer will eat them as he fined them.

Thanks Fishboy very useful

Please have a read of Fella's pinned topic on these fish, here:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=136616

That should probably answer all your questions!

Cheers, Neale

Thanks Neal i read that just looking for any more info!!

Out of curiosity, what do you feel I could have included in the article that would have answered any queries you have better?

He he if i knew that i wouldnt need to look for it!
Its a great article, i just like to get as much info as i can

Its a pretty decent article, i think people want personal experiences etc on top of specific info.

25 Litre is what about 7 Gallons? Id probably go for 1 Dwarf with Oto's

i think i forgot to mension, ottos make great tank mates, never bothered with my puffers. i doubt any other fish could live with them, to higher risk.

Most reactions

Back