Dwarf Puffers And Little Bugs.

Silvani

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I’ve read up about dwarf puffers a lot, and know they are wonderful little snail killers if kept on their own or with a few ottos. My question is will they eat “other†little bugs in the tank as well? I’ve recently run out of algae in my tank for the ottos, and have been dropping algae wafers in my tank to keep them happy. Well this has made the snail population explode along with these tiny (pin head size) white bugs that almost look like some type of beetle. The snails swarm to the alage pellet and leave very little left for the ottos to eat. Anyways the bugs are really icky looking, but everything I’ve searched for and read has stated they are harmless. And the snails are just… well I don’t mind a few but this is crazy. They are pouch snails just incase anyone wanted to know. Most are still pretty tiny so would be a perfect (eyeball size) puffer snack.

Anyways, I am currently planning on moving the platys that currently populate that tank to a different silk planted tank (non real) and getting a dwarf puffer, or perhaps two little girls. But I’m curious before I do that if I should try and eliminate the weird bugs on my own or if the little puffers would be interested in the bugs. It’s really getting unsightly, it’s not the normal “they don’t’ do any harm ignore them†it’s when you look into the tank you see 1000’s of them, even sometimes on the fish, though they move and the bugs fall off. Anyways I’m rambling, long story short. Will puffers eat little bugs?

Btw thank you for the pinned article at the top. Very nice. :D

The puffers will no doubt reduce your snail population in a matter of days, and im almost certain that they will eat the bugs you mention as i havefed my own puffers ostracods-small bivalve shelled crustaceans about 1-2mm in length and if your bugs are of similar size they will likely be eaten as well.

I must mention however that as puffers feed on meaty foods and are mess eaters they may cause pollution in your aquarium that will lead to further outbreaks unless you have good filtration and frequent water changes.

I’ve read up about dwarf puffers a lot, and know they are wonderful little snail killers if kept on their own or with a few ottos. My question is will they eat “other†little bugs in the tank as well? I’ve recently run out of algae in my tank for the ottos, and have been dropping algae wafers in my tank to keep them happy. Well this has made the snail population explode along with these tiny (pin head size) white bugs that almost look like some type of beetle. The snails swarm to the alage pellet and leave very little left for the ottos to eat. Anyways the bugs are really icky looking, but everything I’ve searched for and read has stated they are harmless. And the snails are just… well I don’t mind a few but this is crazy. They are pouch snails just incase anyone wanted to know. Most are still pretty tiny so would be a perfect (eyeball size) puffer snack.

Anyways, I am currently planning on moving the platys that currently populate that tank to a different silk planted tank (non real) and getting a dwarf puffer, or perhaps two little girls. But I’m curious before I do that if I should try and eliminate the weird bugs on my own or if the little puffers would be interested in the bugs. It’s really getting unsightly, it’s not the normal “they don’t’ do any harm ignore them†it’s when you look into the tank you see 1000’s of them, even sometimes on the fish, though they move and the bugs fall off. Anyways I’m rambling, long story short. Will puffers eat little bugs?

Btw thank you for the pinned article at the top. Very nice. :D
Well this sounds interesting! The creatures you describe sound to me like mites (they are little, white, and round, with four pairs of little legs), but this doesn't seem to be a common problem with fish tanks (as far as I know) unless you introduce rain water pond water or contaminated livefoods that have been caught in the wild. If they don't cling to the fish a lot then I would say they are unlikely to be parasitic and therefore bad news for fish. I would wait and see if anyone with more experience knows something I don't, but mites are not necessarily parasitic. Some eat rotting vegetation, excrement or even microscopic critters in their own micro habitat.

As to whether or not DP's will eat them depends on whether the mites taste good or not...trial and error really. Also bear in mind that puffers can live for many years, and will need either frozen food or if you are unlucky a constant supply of live food.

A more certain way of disposing of your invaders is to strip the tank down and start again...well I didn't say it was a fun way! If you decide on this method wash everything including rocks, plants, tank, and all, and don't reuse the substrate - it's a great place for mite eggs to hide. It's a lot of trouble in the short term but it might help to avoid trouble in the long run.

All the best from Bill.

It’s a 10 gallon tank that is very very heavily planted. I can’t even see the gravel any longer the java moss has grown so thick. That along with 10+ java ferns on some wood, and 2 large anubus nana (not sure that’s spelled right) plants. The tank has both an under gravel filter and a whisper power filter. So I would hope *crosses fingers* that would be enough for at least one if not two little puffers. I plan to just start with one little girl and gage her personality before starting with two and having to give one away.

Anyways, I have frozen bloodworms on hand for my bettas, and I’ve read that they will eat those (I hope I don’t get a finicky one). But I’m willing to deal with live food if that’s what comes of it. :)
And I love fish that live a long time. It can be tough on your heart to have something for just 2 – 3 (bettas) years and have it die. At least you know they lived happy lives. :) These are such cute little fish I’d be thrilled to have them around for as long as possible. Besides I’m used to keeping a single species of fish on their own, and aggressive fish. So this seems like a perfect way to branch out! :good:

I’ve been changing out 20% of the water every day for the last 5 days to try and battle these little bugs. I don’t think they are parasitic since the fish don’t seem to mind them. Its just freaky to see them sitting on the fish, but I can only assume they are just resting. I’ve never ever used rain water or pond water. The only food that has been given to the fish has been flakes / pellets / or frozen blood worms so I’m not sure where they would have come from. I looked up water mites on google, and that’s not what they look like so I think I’m safe there. They are little round and white, but they do not have the 4 legs. I think they may be this: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-10/...es/image004.jpg
But I’m just guessing since I don’t have a microscope. :p Its the same shape though.

I truly hope I don’t have to resort to stripping the tank down. I would hate to lose such a well established tank, but I supposed if worse comes to worse that’s what I’ll have to resort to.

Anyways thank you both so much for your replies!! You have both been extremely helpful! :D :thumbs:

Great to hear you're prepared for the puffers! They are such great fish. Your tank sounds like DP heaven. The only problem I can see is that puffers are difficult or impossible to sex when young, as the "tell-tale signs" don't appear until the fish is near maturity. Hope they sort out your problem critters. Mine spend ages hunting out Daphnia in the tank so maybe you'll have one happy puffer! They can fit loads of food in their bellies - to the point of being pot bellied pigs of the underwater world.

Hope you didn't mind me pointing out the problems involved in keeping them, but better safe than sorry. Hope I didn't sound condescending or anything.

All the best from Bill.

Great to hear you're prepared for the puffers! They are such great fish. Your tank sounds like DP heaven. The only problem I can see is that puffers are difficult or impossible to sex when young, as the "tell-tale signs" don't appear until the fish is near maturity. Hope they sort out your problem critters. Mine spend ages hunting out Daphnia in the tank so maybe you'll have one happy puffer! They can fit loads of food in their bellies - to the point of being pot bellied pigs of the underwater world.

Hope you didn't mind me pointing out the problems involved in keeping them, but better safe than sorry. Hope I didn't sound condescending or anything.

All the best from Bill.

Oh no! Don’t even think it! Your thoughts and comments were wonderful. I’d much rather people ask than not ask. I want to know I’m prepared. So really and truly thank you!

I’ll head to the pet store this weekend, and let you guys know how the bug eating goes. :)

Thanks again!! :D

One other question, somewhat along the same lines so I’m tacking on to my old topic. Will a dwarf puffer attempt to eat a 2 inch apple snail? Or will that be safe to keep in the tank. If no I can move him to another. :)

He’s a HUGE snail, so I wonder if they could even attempt it. Or will they end up just taking little bits out of him killing him that way. Anyone ever keep an apple snail with dwarf puffers?

Thanks! :)

Well it seems we have an answer. :nod:

I got a little puffer today, and after acclimating her/him the first thing it did was go for some snails. After that I saw it picking at some of the little bugs. Boy oh boy is that little tummy bulging now. It was a puffer buffet laid out for the little cutie. :wub: :wub: :wub:

It’s too small right now to see if there are any wrinkles behind the eyes. I’d need to get a magnifying glass to even try and see them, and I have 20/20 eye site. Hehe :lol:

Anyway just wanted to let everyone know they do seem to eat the little bugs. There are still more in the tank, so I’ll be curious if they are cleared up in time.

Thanks to everyone again! :D :D :D

PS - I tried to get some pictures of the little one, but it seems a bit camra shy at this point. Maybe when it’s less stressed from the move. ;)

One other question, somewhat along the same lines so I’m tacking on to my old topic. Will a dwarf puffer attempt to eat a 2 inch apple snail? Or will that be safe to keep in the tank. If no I can move him to another. :)

He’s a HUGE snail, so I wonder if they could even attempt it. Or will they end up just taking little bits out of him killing him that way. Anyone ever keep an apple snail with dwarf puffers?

Thanks! :)

From what I gather, the general consensus seems to be that the puffers will nip little morsels off the snail, so according to the theory it's cruel to keep them together even if the snail doesn't die. Generally I would agree with this; however when I first bought my puffers I had a bad algae problem so I bought some Amano shrimp. I still have them all and they go unmolested in the tank to this day. THEY ARE VERY LUCKY! Most puffers would have ripped them to pieces within a day or so, although I didn't realise until much later on.

What I am saying, in my long winded fashion, is that different DPs have different behaviour or personalities if you like, so nothing is certain. So you could add a snail and keep a close watch on things, but if it were me I wouldn't risk causing anything any pain, however good the intentions.

Hope this helps, from Bill.

Even though your problem with the little bugs is over, would it be possible to post a description of them as it would be interesting to find out what creature managed to overrun your aquarium, points to make would be number of legs, shape of exoskeleton and type of mouthparts.

Even though your problem with the little bugs is over, would it be possible to post a description of them as it would be interesting to find out what creature managed to overrun your aquarium, points to make would be number of legs, shape of exoskeleton and type of mouthparts.

It’s really hard to describe them since they are so small. They are white, and round. They look like they have a hard shell on them. Picture a bowl turned upside down that swims around. I can’t count the legs since they are so small, but more than 4, I’d say. I can’t even see their mouths. :(

There are still a few swimming around, so they aren’t totally gone. But the problem is much better. :)

Most reactions

Back