Dwarf Platties

Hmm I want see African Wild guppies and endlers too. Post the pictures!

Hey how you get African wild guppies?

I love wild type guppies than fancy guppies because of its small size and lots of random colors. In fact I never seen wild guppies, just feeder guppies but feeder guppies have too much random colors that doesn't existed in the wild and are just culls or too much crossbreeding from the fancy guppies.

They are dead easy to get hold of if you are a member of a group such as the British Livebearer Association or the American Livebearer Association. Otherwise you will have little chance.

I don't have photos, they are not high on my list of fish to own.

I suppose the correct terminology would be Feral African Guppies. A bit like those wallabies in the Pennines. Or rabbits anywhere in the UK, come to think of it (when does a species stop being feral and become native?).

The advantage of them is they will still have been living under wild conditions, so subject to natural selection, likely to be tougher than some badly selected inbred stock from the lfs. Also, they were really attractive little things.

If yoy want to see a fuzzy picture of an endler, check my avatar. I can never get these guys to hold still long enough for a picture much less a well focused one. He was new to me when I took the picture and only about 3/4 inch at the time. He has grown out in the last 5 months to an enormous 1 inch.

I prefer the term 'introduced' Dwarfgourami, but I guess feral would do aswell.

Wow Alot of traffic on this subject.

Yes i have pix and they will be uploaded Tonight.

They have now settled in nicely and they have colored up.
They are in a Small Cube with Daphnia and Tons of Brians Java Moss(wish i'd bought more bags if i had known how much was in each bag). With a large Airstone untill i set up there tank tonight.

The Formosa Are Amazing and the Female is Huge with Fry.

I will take some better pix of each species tonight using the Ultra pico i got from Brian, before they are introduced to their respective tanks. (Need to go to Poundland and get some acrylic cubes for them)

Next Time I will Get Some More Pygmy Species as I wasn't sure what was what and chose what i knew about.

I have 3 parcels of Fish coming aswell - Pure Giant Fighter pairs so my Wifes, Gonna have a fit. (I had promised to stick to 1 Tank)

As these are Tiny Fish, Can I use Tall Tanks or do they like long swimming space, as If they can go in Tall Tanks, then i can fit the tall cubes within the rim of the 90Gallon Glass Shelf.

You don't see lots of wild stock or purebred of the common livebearers these days. In fact I never seen a wild type southern platy and variatus.

You don't see lots of wild stock or purebred of the common livebearers these days. In fact I never seen a wild type southern platy and variatus.

There you go, I am glad to be of service :good:

Attachments

• Xiphophorus_variatus_LAGUNA.JPG
    Xiphophorus_variatus_LAGUNA.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 43
Love these wild variatus especially the male with orange caudal fin. But what about the wild Xiphophorus maculatus?

It is so shameful that few people kept wild type common livebearers. And they are rarely offered for sale on aquabid.

Love these wild variatus especially the male with orange caudal fin. But what about the wild Xiphophorus maculatus?

It is so shameful that few people kept wild type common livebearers. And they are rarely offered for sale on aquabid.

I have some wild maculatus, but do not have any photos at the moment.

You need to join one of the livebearer clubs. Then you will be able to get hold of wild livebearers. Try www.livebearers.org

Lots of ickle fry swimming in the Java Moss and Looking out at the big fish.

Dun, do you remember what those Hughe 5Inch Plus monsters were at the auction - they sound interesting.

Dun, do you remember what those Hughe 5Inch Plus monsters were at the auction - they sound interesting.

I do not remember? The biggest fish I can remember was Chapalichthys pardalis.

The best advice I can give you is to steer clear of the largest fish in auctions as they are likely to be past their prime, do not travel well and are likely to have been raised in different conditions; get younger fish that will give you a bit of longevity and plenty of fry and will travel and adapt better to your conditions.

I am not sure whether the other guys will agree, but it is just my own opinion.

I do not remember? The biggest fish I can remember was Chapalichthys pardalis.

The best advice I can give you is to steer clear of the largest fish in auctions as they are likely to be past their prime, do not travel well and are likely to have been raised in different conditions; get younger fish that will give you a bit of longevity and plenty of fry and will travel and adapt better to your conditions.

I am not sure whether the other guys will agree, but it is just my own opinion.

agree with that.

young fish travel better than adults.

Most reactions

Back