Dwarf Gourami's

Back in the fold

That One Guy
Reaction score
I would like to hear from everyone what they know about the Dwarf Gourami. What have been your experiences ? Have you bred them ? What , specifically , do you know about Dwarf Gourami diseases ? What have been your successes and failures with them ? Have you seen some nice ones or only deformed runts ? Have you treated sick ones and had them recover ? There are a lot of fish keepers on this forum and this is a common fish. What do you know ?

I’ve had 3 of them over the years. They all died within a few months of adding them. I suspected DG disease.

I have one. Beautiful fish, but he's a crazy fish 🤣🤷🏻‍♂️
Exhibit 1. Upon arrival, he decimated floating plants in 5 to 7 days, only to then cower and hide in decorations because now he has the entire tank surface exposed.
Exhibit 2. After doing so, started to go down in the tank, bothering the neons first, then the cories, and even the otto and the snails, he pokes at them making the fall off th glass.
Exhibit 3. He did it for food! He's always hungry, not like a normal fish who will eat whenever he's fed, no. This guy is ETERNALLY hungry and will chase off and poke anything and anyone he sees as competition for food.
Lastly, even being in his own tank, with a reasonable number of plants, he'll still freak out when the light is turned on or off in the tank and will go on a frenzy, almost bouncing off the sides.

But... I love him and my son "officially" said it was HIS fish, and has kept his side of the deal (feeding, cleaning, water changes) and just sits there patiently and watches him at any given time. And that has earned "Mr. Blurami" his own tank and place in our house.

He's been with me since February, seems hardy enough, and I hope he won't ever develop dgd.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one. Beautiful fish, but he's a crazy fish 🤣🤷🏻‍♂️
Exhibit 1. Upon arrival, he decimated floating plants in 5 to 7 days, only to then cower and hide in decorations because now he has the entire tank surface exposed.
Exhibit 2. After doing so, started to go down in the tank, bothering the neons first, then the cories, and even the otto and the snails, he pokes at them making the fall off th glass.
Exhibit 3. He did it for food! He's always hungry, not like a normal fish who will eat whenever he's fed, no. This guy is ETERNALLY hungry and will chase off and poke anything and anyone he sees as competition for food.
Lastly, even being in his own tank, with a reasonable number of plants, he'll still freak out when the light is turned on or off in the tank and will go on a frenzy, almost bouncing off the sides.

But... I love him and my son "officially" said it was HIS fish, and has kept his side of the deal (feeding, cleaning, water changes) and just sits there patiently and watches him at any given time. And that has earned "Mr. Blurami" his own tank and place in our house.

He's been with me since February, seems hardy enough, and I hope he won't ever develop dgd.
That was awesome ! This is why I keep fish , because I like them.

Don't keep them too warm. They are temperature sensitive if it comes too mating. Males that are constantly kept on high temps are more "agressive" and get worn out after some period being constantly in that stage.

Cooler water (raise if you want to breed) makes them a bit more docile and live a longer life.

Last edited:
I bought four dwarf gouramis in March. As it happens, one blue died soon after. The remaining one blue and two reds seem very healthy. My problem is the Pearl Gouramis chase them and the Dwarves chase each other. Nobody gets hurt, just chasing.

I bought four dwarf gouramis in March. As it happens, one blue died soon after. The remaining one blue and two reds seem very healthy. My problem is the Pearl Gouramis chase them and the Dwarves chase each other. Nobody gets hurt, just chasing.
Chasing is aggression and stress for those involved, especially those being chased. Stress weakens the immune system and shortens lifespan.

You need to separate them or put lots of plants in to break up the line of sight.

Most reactions

Back