Dusty Water

Simon<3

Reaction score
Hey! :hyper:

Ive read your forums and i have to say i think this is great, you all seem like very mature helpful fish fanatics :lol:

So ive bought a tank, cleaned the gravel (tho i think i could have done better), fitted everything and what not. The water is now pretty cloudy and dusty, is this normal? and will it settle?. Ive got the filter switched on at the moment, but im thinking in doing that, it might not give the tank time to settle...what do you think?

Thanks everyone and im here to stay! :fun:

Simon <3

Well first off you will need to do a fishless cycling you can read about that here. Once you have done your fishless cycling. that will help your dustiness and cloudiness and stuff of that sort out.. Be sure to check your PH, Nitrate and Nitrite daily and get them to 0PPM. and then you can add fish...

A little tip that works for me when starting a new tank. You wash the substrate the best you can and put it in your tank. Next, fill with de chlorinated water. Next take out ALL the media from your filter. Next refill your filter with fine cotton wool type filter media and set in your tank. Then give the substrate a gentle stir and finally turn on your filter. Leave it going for at least 24hours or untill the tank clears (it will eventually).

When the tank is clear empty the filter, refill with your chosen media, switch it on. Switch the heater on then follow 'rdd1952' excellent, pinned post on fishless cycle. :good:

Next, fill with de chlorinated water.

By the way, how do you guys fill the tank with de-chlorinated water? Is there some treatment you buy?

Cheers

Martin

Ok, if you have done your research you will know by now that you must cycle your filter, that is a system to build up the types of bacteria to 'eat' the ammonia and nitrite that will be produced in your tank. (see rrd1952 pinned post on fishless cycle...it's perfect) Now then, it is VERY important to protect this bacteria once you have it so golden rule, NEVER allow untreated water to get into your tank as chlorine will wipe-out ALL your hard earned bacteria in a heartbeat :crazy: There are several de-chlorinating solutions on the market and it's cheap and goes a long way (unless you are lucky to have an ocean sized tank.....some do believe me!) For instants, I use Bioactive Tapsafe with Aloe Vera and beneficial Bacteria but I am not loyal to just that.
Now, the dechlorinating process is INSTANT so some just add the amount of tapsafe need for the amount of water to be added straight into the tank then top-up the water right from the tap.
I prefer to add it to the container of water that I have 'acclimatising to room temperature, but that's just my way.
Hope this sorts that out for you! :good:

Great thanks for that, do you know where I can get it from here in the UK? I didn't think it was that important but obviously I see now how important it is - I wonna protect my Bacteria :)

Will this mean that even after the tank is established I will still need to de-chlorinise the water or will tap water be okay then?

Thanks

Martin

actually the effects of chlorine in mature tanks are much debated, if you search on this site for chlorine i'm sure you can dig up some interesting posts on the subject

some people claim once the tank has matured dechlorinating the water is not nescessary, some will claim it is essential.

however for now it is definately needed so get yourself some dechlorinator, hundreds of brands available from all lfs's in the UK, look for something that say's it removes chlorine, chloramine and detoxifies heavy metals, don't get ones that say they stimulate protective slime coat (waste of money) :good:

you've plenty of tiem before you could consider not using dechlor so loads of time to research and make up your own mind

actually the effects of chlorine in mature tanks are much debated, if you search on this site for chlorine i'm sure you can dig up some interesting posts on the subject

some people claim once the tank has matured dechlorinating the water is not nescessary, some will claim it is essential.

however for now it is definately needed so get yourself some dechlorinator, hundreds of brands available from all lfs's in the UK, look for something that say's it removes chlorine, chloramine and detoxifies heavy metals, don't get ones that say they stimulate protective slime coat (waste of money) :good:

you've plenty of tiem before you could consider not using dechlor so loads of time to research and make up your own mind

Thank you very much Miss Wiggle, that's great. I calle dmy LFS and they have some. So off I go :)

Martin

you don't really need to test the water for chlorine, just add dechlor it work instantly and the dosing instructions provided allow for a higher level of chlorine than you are ever likely to have :good:

:good: no problem

Hi Sorry, can I just ask what kit I will need to test the Cholrine in the water?

Thanks.

Martin

Ha ha....you don't need to test for it....if you are in the uk and it comes from the tap it has chlorine in it! Unless of course you have an inline water filter fitted to your supply.
What will be essentual is a testing kit for ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte and PH levels. One of the best is the Freshwater Master Test Kit. It is made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Inc (API for short) It comes from the fish shop too but if it's over £20 by much look else where. (Cheap, considering it contains enough for 700 odd tests!)

Most reactions

Back