Durso Standpipe Bubbles?

garybuk

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i have made my own durso standpipe with two 90degress piping and a small hole in the top of one!! but im getting stuiped amount of bubbles , if i block the hole it over flows the sump! then if i slow the flow down the drain pipe it over flows the tank !!!! please help!!!!

Ummm, you're supposed to get bubbles in the drain line... Its the fact that it can breathe that allows it to match the pump.

Why are the bubbles a problem for you?

Nosies when popping in the sump!!! its alot ov bubbles! i get the sounds" like taking a plug out the bath" every now and then from my drain pipe! not too worryed about that!!!

Is the drain on the bottom of the tank, or on the back/side? I ask, because my frag and fuge tanks are drilled on the back and side, respectively. And I can tell you that IF the bubbles build up, and they will, they can block the drain and cause a flood. This invariably happens at 1am or so IME.

I use an aqualifter to suck the air out the top of the durso, by drilling a small hole in the cap, inserting an airline connector, and connecting airline tubing to the aqualifter intake. I run a tube from the output to the sump in case water gets in. It's also a way to get air/oxygenation into the system.

its drilled at the bottom! with a pipe going up to the top! kinda got used to the bubbles! dont get much at the min! but dreading it when i upgrade my return pump

That's a flushing problem. Your durso should be larger than the bulkhead, reduce it down right at the bulkhead. That'll solve a lot of the problem

Most reactions

Back