Duck Weed

JxsPxxle

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I ordered some duck weed from ebay and I thought it would be rooted. However, they are just little floating leaves, I am probably stupid for thinking they wouldn’t be. Will these have the same effect as the rooted duck weed? It is being used for a no filter betta tank.

Do you know the species for the "rooted" duckweed, as I have never heard of it. The common duckweed species is Lemna minor, and is strictly floating. There are two other species in this genus, namely L. gibba and L. trisulca, which are similarly floating. The floating "leaves" are actually fronds. This genus is in the Subfamily Lemnoideae of which all species are floating plants.

They probably do have roots, just they are so tiny

Duck weed is good at absorbing ammonia and will help improve your water quality but it does grow fast and can cover the surface if you let it. I agree with @Munroco and plan of getting water lettuce or frogbit for my tank.

They call it weed for a reason. I had some in a bag of fish from the pet store once, it was maybe 3 or 4 little tiny ones floating in the bag, if i had known a week later it would take over my tank i would have removed it instead of putting it in my tank

It is the look I’m going for. I am making a no filter tank so it is perfect, however I will remove some every so often.

Heres what my tank looks like now.

Attachments

• E019451A-B23A-470A-948F-4A35CF7BA0EB.jpeg
    E019451A-B23A-470A-948F-4A35CF7BA0EB.jpeg
    310.6 KB · Views: 110
You'll be sorry. Your duckweed has just found it's forever home.

I prefer plants like water lettuce and frogbit, they are bigger and it's easy to clear them from a tank if desired.
He's right. If you put some of those in you can gradually clear out the duckweed, but it will be months (if ever) before you get rid of it. FWIW the roots in my signature pic are frogbit.

I have mixed feelings about duckweed. In some ways, it's kinda like snails in that it's very beneficial, but can be a nuisance. I "inherited" duckweed along with some guppy grass I bought at one of our club meeting auctions. It's now in nearly all my tanks! My only real complaint is that I have water sprite in most tanks and the duckweed can shade the water sprite from the light. I have to skim the surface to remove excess duckweed at least weekly as part of the water change routine. I'll dry and use it in the feed mix for the white worms.
On the flip side, in addition to being a great ammonia sponge, some fish (and especially turtles) will eat it.
I'm trying it alone in one grow out tank and it covers the surface of the turtle pond.

I just ordered some to use as goldfish food. I have one very fat goldie that is on a diet. I plan to leave it in my empty shrimp tank (empty from shrimp, not water) and feed it as needed. Hope it doesn’t spread to all of my tanks. I have water lettuce in the rest and love it.

I just ordered some to use as goldfish food. I have one very fat goldie that is on a diet. I plan to leave it in my empty shrimp tank (empty from shrimp, not water) and feed it as needed. Hope it doesn’t spread to all of my tanks. I have water lettuce in the rest and love it.
Just be careful because if one piece gets in a tank it will take off.

Just found out it doesn’t have a chance with goldfish. They devour it. Thank goodness!

Duckweed is high in protein and fats, and it is a nutritious food source (and an excellent natural laxative) for vegetarian fishes such as goldfish and carp; the common name comes from the fact that ducks are very fond of eating this plant.

I got it with a bag of fish many years ago, and it has been excellent in my 10g pygmy cory spawning tank. It has appeared in other tanks from water changes tank to tank, but I have never goound it a problem as it is easy to net out the few plants each time. I wold rather see plants like this thriving than not have them.

Duckweed is high in protein and fats, and it is a nutritious food source (and an excellent natural laxative) for vegetarian fishes such as goldfish and carp; the common name comes from the fact that ducks are very fond of eating this plant.

I got it with a bag of fish many years ago, and it has been excellent in my 10g pygmy cory spawning tank. It has appeared in other tanks from water changes tank to tank, but I have never goound it a problem as it is easy to net out the few plants each time. I wold rather see plants like this thriving than not have them.
I agree. I am so appreciative of your info on water lettuce. I just love it. Glad to hear you say that duckweed isn’t a big issue. You da man when it comes to plants. :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back