Dual Filteration?

Sora

Reaction score
Hello all, Im quiet new here, but I was reading Miss Wiggle's Step by step guide in setting up an aquarium. And I came across filteration and was wondering if its wise to have more than one filteration? And if yes which 2 would you recommend for a 60+ gallon tank?

My thoughts would be 2 external filters, but I wasnt to sure on this. Any suggestions?

P.S - Im currently deciding on which equipment to get before I decide to do any purchase, this way I can ensure that nothing *hopefully* goes wrong.

2 is better, and 2 externals are evn better still! Have a look on ebay for some cheap secnd han ones. They do the job perefect :)

i dont believe you can really over filter your tank.

I have 3 large externals on my tank turning over circa (minimum) 7000ltrs/hour.

I prefer having more than one, as a) you have a back up if something happens to one and b) your tank will be super clear! c) your fish will love you long timmme! lol

My tank's vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLGa8d9L1SY

I prefer having more than one, as a) you have a back up if something happens to one and b) your tank will be super clear! c) your fish will love you long timmme! lol
:good: exactly!

8inary:

That has got to be one of the most amazing tanks I have ever seen.

yeah definately a good idea to build some redundancy into the set up by adding two filters if it's possible.

personally i go for one large filter that can manage the tank by itself, then supplement it with another of roughly half the size.

while you can't overfilter you can create too much flow, you don't want the tank to be a whirlpool so do go a bit OTT, but not too much!! I'd say max you want is 10 or 15 x turnover. So if the tank is 60 gals then that's 220 litres approx. so max turnover of 2220 - 3330 litres per hour.

and i shall go check out the guide and include something on building redundancy into the system if it's not already there! :hyper:

thanks fishlover. It is my dream tank. I had prior to that one, a few different size tanks, but then came up with that idea. I had the tank custom made, then I had to buy in all the things for it.

There are a few special fish in there for me, my 22" fire eel, lil frog who is actually a really cool frog might I say lol, flowerhorn, polys, well, I have a few faves lol

I have a 65 gallon Freshwater and currently run duel RenaXP3 filters. Have not had any problems yet with the Rena XP3s and I think they are far superior to the Magnum 350 canister I started with.
The Rena XP3's are also very easy to maintan and maintenance friendly. :good:

Thanks for the responses :lol: I'll have to check into which external filters would actually do for a 65 gallon tank. But I completely agree with what all of you are saying. Also question: If I do get an external filter would I need to drill any holes?

Im also planning to get either sand or gravel, but have learn that some sand can help... like a biological filter of some sort - *I think it was coral sand*. And if I do decide to get gravel should I get a undergravel filter? or is Sand much better and thus I wouldnt need the undergravel filter.Because I've read up that undergravel filters aren't that good as external filters. And for this reason I was planning on getting 2 external filters as recommended by majority of people here.

*just shocked with the quick response, wasnt expecting such a quick responses* :blink:

only if you want to plumb it to go though the bottom of your tank, otherwise the pies just go up behind the tank and through the slit that is in the back of the hood. coral sand is sometimes added to the filter as it buffers your water and gives a ph of around 8.2 - ideal for cichlids. UGF are rubbish, they get blocked all the time. Sand or gravel - its your choice, which do you prefer? Catfishes or burrowing fish prefer sand as it doesnt damage their barbels (although whn i had gravl it didnt either) but it must be more comfortable.

only if you want to plumb it to go though the bottom of your tank, otherwise the pies just go up behind the tank and through the slit that is in the back of the hood. coral sand is sometimes added to the filter as it buffers your water and gives a ph of around 8.2 - ideal for cichlids. UGF are rubbish, they get blocked all the time. Sand or gravel - its your choice, which do you prefer? Catfishes or burrowing fish prefer sand as it doesnt damage their barbels (although whn i had gravl it didnt either) but it must be more comfortable.

agreed

don't get a UG, get whatever substrate you think looks good, doesnt affect the water and is suitable for the fish you choose to stock!

It depends a lot on what you want to do with the tank and what you intend to keep. Whilst I would agree that 2 small externals are better then 1 large from a redundency point of view, I would say you most definitely can over filter your tank.

Serious planted tank keepers who use CO2 injection etc. will be very careful about filtration as excessive water movement can knock CO2 out of solution thus negating the benfit. Excessive water movement is also bad news for fish from naturally low energy environments.

The Eheims I have on my big tanks are together rated below that normally recommended for the tank, but I am heavily planted and very lightly stocked.

Most reactions

Back