Dropsy in African Dwarf frog?

galacticfern

Reaction score
Recently moved her into a 20g community tank. There is a male in there with her, so i’m not sure if she’s egg laden, too chunky from eating the fishes’ scraps along with her own food, or if it is dropsy after all ): any advice is appreciated

Attachments

• B7ED6DE8-81A1-4F40-AB25-548497B2D484.jpeg
    B7ED6DE8-81A1-4F40-AB25-548497B2D484.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 192
Recently moved her into a 20g community tank. There is a male in there with her, so i’m not sure if she’s egg laden, too chunky from eating the fishes’ scraps along with her own food, or if it is dropsy after all ): any advice is appreciated
Not sure if its dropsy or something else. Frogs tend to get food obstructions And or bloat and most food for the fish isnt good for them and they need more than scraps. Not only that but keeping them on gravel increases chance of bacterial infection as food gets stuck between gravel and rots where the frogs always are. Not to mention its harder for them to find. ADF are basically blind and find their food by smell, theyre also shyband light sensitive so not only are they losing out on competition for food but the fish in the tank stress them out as well, increased stress increases chance for disease. ADF really dont belong in community tanks. They belong in species only tanks in groups and on sand with specialized food. Not only will this be healthier and safer for them but by keeping them with fish one misses out on their unique social behavior. They live in large groups in the wild and are very social and when in groups in tanks with themselves they can be heard croaking to each other( little audible chirps) they also readily mate and easily breed where as in community tanks they are continuously stressed and usually die prematurely.
Rehome them in a tank of at least 4, the more the merrier, use sand not gravel, get sinking adf frog pellets or thawed frozen brine shrimp and youll be able to enjoy this fun little frogs and theyll be healthier and less stressed.

Not sure if its dropsy or something else. Frogs tend to get food obstructions And or bloat and most food for the fish isnt good for them and they need more than scraps. Not only that but keeping them on gravel increases chance of bacterial infection as food gets stuck between gravel and rots where the frogs always are. Not to mention its harder for them to find. ADF are basically blind and find their food by smell, theyre also shyband light sensitive so not only are they losing out on competition for food but the fish in the tank stress them out as well, increased stress increases chance for disease. ADF really dont belong in community tanks. They belong in species only tanks in groups and on sand with specialized food. Not only will this be healthier and safer for them but by keeping them with fish one misses out on their unique social behavior. They live in large groups in the wild and are very social and when in groups in tanks with themselves they can be heard croaking to each other( little audible chirps) they also readily mate and easily breed where as in community tanks they are continuously stressed and usually die prematurely.
Rehome them in a tank of at least 4, the more the merrier, use sand not gravel, get sinking adf frog pellets or thawed frozen brine shrimp and youll be able to enjoy this fun little frogs and theyll be healthier and less stressed.
I had them in a species only tank with smaller substrate, but I was worried that they were ingesting it along with their food. The only other fish in the tank are some endler guppies, a snail, and an extremely docile dwarf gourami. They are fed sinking ADF pellets and frozen blood worms. They are extremely active and chirp relentlessly every evening, and this gravel is big enough that they can’t fit it in their mouths. The fish are fed tropical flakes and occasionally bloodworms as well. I vacuum the surface of the gravel at least once a week, deep clean every other week to remove any decaying food or waste. Sorry for not providing more information sooner- I’m still not too sure whether it is general bloat/over feeding or dropsy ):

I had them in a species only tank with smaller substrate, but I was worried that they were ingesting it along with their food. The only other fish in the tank are some endler guppies, a snail, and an extremely docile dwarf gourami. They are fed sinking ADF pellets and frozen blood worms. They are extremely active and chirp relentlessly every evening, and this gravel is big enough that they can’t fit it in their mouths. The fish are fed tropical flakes and occasionally bloodworms as well. I vacuum the surface of the gravel at least once a week, deep clean every other week to remove any decaying food or waste. Sorry for not providing more information sooner- I’m still not too sure whether it is general bloat/over feeding or dropsy ):
Hows her behavior? Is she acting sick? Is she swimming, eating, pooping?
Having said that sand is better for them as the food sits on top of it and is easier to find. I never had any problem with food impaction on sand or sand impaction. In the wild they live on sand. Gravel is rougher on their body and as stated is a breeding ground for bacteria in the crevices. Having a gourami even a docil one in the tank cant be good for the frog. If you still have the species tank id reccomend moving it back as it will be healthier there.

Hows her behavior? Is she acting sick? Is she swimming, eating, pooping?
Having said that sand is better for them as the food sits on top of it and is easier to find. I never had any problem with food impaction on sand or sand impaction. In the wild they live on sand. Gravel is rougher on their body and as stated is a breeding ground for bacteria in the crevices. Having a gourami even a docil one in the tank cant be good for the frog. If you still have the species tank id reccomend moving it back as it will be healthier there.
Interesting, thanks. She’s a lot more active in this tank than in the last. Normal behavior overall.

Most reactions

Back