Drip Leak

Gilli

Gilli
Reaction score
I have a large tank that has a plastic band around the top of the glass and a lid. It has developed a small condensation leak whereby just in one spot on the outside it drips slightly (even though its above the water level) and runs down the front of the tank drying with a watermark. Ive tried siliconing the outside with normal transparent type from the DIY shop along the entire join but its still not fixed the problem.

If I buy an aquarium silicone will I be able to do the inside and maybe fix the problem? I dont know it if will stick or dry as the inside is always wet? If I cant then im at a loss as to how to fix the problem
no.gif

a picture would probably help, im a bit confused about what you are saying

As Mike says, a picture might help to clarify...

But, if you are going to try to repair the seal on the inside, you are going to have to empty the tank so that you are working with dry surfaces, AND you are going to need to leave it dry while the silicone cures.  I think its at least 24 hours, but it might be 48-72 hours. (Don't quote me on that, you'll want to go by the manufacturer's directions rather than my failing memory.)

AARRGGHH I thought as much. I think I will lower the water level by half and see if I can get it dry enough to put the new silicone round the rim. If not I guess its the plastic tub for my fish for 24 hours at least! thanks guys!
bye2.gif

There is a kind of silicone that will work on wet surfaces; they make it for ponds. It's pricey though :/

Good to know... I've never seen that before...

angelfishguy said:
Tec7 will cure underwater

Thanks for this - have looked at it bt it seems to be a builders silicone - is it safe for fish???

Most reactions

Back