Drilling A Tank?

billy0510

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i want to add a over flow and sump to my 125 gal glass tank. I have heard if the tank is tempered glass one can not drill dur to shattering. Is this true? How can i tell if mine is tempered? Arent they all? I have seen the overflows that u put on the back of the tank but also heard that they can loose suction and create a mess. Has anyone ever had this happen?

It is true although I've heard of an alternative method that involves basically melting the glass with an acid. I don't know much about it and would suggest you let an expert deal with it if at all possible.

well a bit of an update just talked to the LFS and he does it for $30 a hole and will also do the entire bulkhead for an extra charge. A local glass guy will come out to my house and do it for $60 a hole. I found out the bottom of my tank is tempered(due to the tempered stamp on the middles of the glass duh) but the sides are not. So the sides can be drilled and both LFS and the glass guy will guarantee there work. I also talk to a friend who has drilled three of his own tanks with a $20 bit from a local hardware store, he said it was easier then he thought it would be.

So for all of the posts ive seen out there about drilling glass, sounds like it is possible and not that expensive.

If its a one off (ie youre not drilling tanks 4 times a year) then go with a pro. Theres a definate technique to drilling glass.

I was thinking of the glass guy i know it will be $120 (for 2 exit holes)and something to come to my house, my tank is 125 gal empty is still pretty heavy and carring to the garage rather than across town to the LFS for an extra $60 dollars is worth it.

My next question is i will be setting up a sump with an atomatic water change system (already have it planned out). i will be using my 2 ehiem 2217 filters to bring the water back to the tank. They say there good for 1000 liters an hour so around 265 Gal/h. Whats a good way to regulate the water comming out of the overflow? How do i figure out what size hole to drill? I cant imagine a hole to be to BIG, but want enough water to keep up with the cannisters. Should i drill the hole towards the bottom of the tank or up towards the top? or does it matter? I know a lot of questions but i like to plan every move before i go forward.

Using a filter to return water is a bad idea, they do not cope with open head well. You need a proper pump.

If you will only drill this tank get it done by someone else, if you think you might drill any others then buy a bit. I paid about $10 for mine including delivery from Hong Kong to the UK. The only real technique with drilling is to keep it moist and go slowly. Other than that itis extremely easy.

If you around the DIY and Marine sections people have put up picture threads showing how to do it.

what do u mean by "Using a filter to return water is a bad idea, they do not cope with open head well. You need a proper pump" Im not disagreeing with u i just dont understand the difference between sucking out of the tank or a sump. My canisters will be in the same spot as they are without the sump.

A canister filter is a closed system, so the gravity pulling water down on one side is counteracted by gravity on the other side. (sides being input and output from the canister) So, gravity is effectively taken out of the equation. "head" is really the weight of the water due to gravity. So, in a canister filter, there is no "head", only resist of pushing the water through the filter material and limitations of water flow due to the diameter of the intake and return tubes.

In a wet/dry filter system or sump filter - gravity pulls the water into the sump tank. The sump tank is open, not airtight. Therefore the pump which returns water has to fight gravity. The force of the water coming into the sump tank does not help the water get back up to the main tank. (like it does in a canister filter) Therefore, the return pump has a "head" equal to the difference in the height water levels of the sump tank and the main tank.

wow i guess i learn somthing new every day. Well that puts a damper for my automatic water changer plans(for now)

Most reactions

Back