Driftwood

This might seem like a silly question, but here goes anyway. Does anyone know if driftwood lowers ph even after the tannins are not turning the water a tea color?

julielynn47 said:
This might seem like a silly question, but here goes anyway. Does anyone know if driftwood lowers ph even after the tannins are not turning the water a tea color?

Yes, but not to any great extent and subject to other factors.  Wood continues to break apart over time, and releases organics and these cause carbonic acid which lowers pH.  Many things in the aquarium do this, from fish food/waste, any decaying fish or plant matter, dried leaves, wood, peat--in other words, any dead organic matter.

The rate at which this lowering of the pH may occur depends upon the amount of organic matter, the water volume, and the GH and KH of the water.  The higher the latter are, the less effect organics will have.  But even in very soft water, the effect from wood is usually quite slow.  My tanks are full of wood, and I have near-zero hardness in my source water.

Byron.

The mopani that is aquarium safe in the reptile section is zoo-med. The tag should have instructions on it indicating it is safe for aquariums.

Most reactions

Back