Driftwood

chich

Reaction score
hey i got 2 peices of wood and treated it in salty water but it still gave a bit off a yellow tinge to my water. is this bad for the fish? if not i quite like the look makes the substrate look more natural. and how do you get rid off it? water changes im guessing?

Chich

Salty water? Why would you do that? Boiling it is the common thing to do as the heat makes the cracks in the wood open, releasing alot of the tannins.
Its not harmful to the fish. Water changes, more soaking and some people say activated carbon in the filter will help get rid of it.

i soaked my wood in boiling water for 24 hours, replacing the water when it cooled down (3 times) with more boiling.

by the last water change it was clear and no yellow was coming out of the wood at all.

its big peice off wood and i have no where to boil it? can i just fill up a tub with kettle water or something?

how often and how many water changes a day should i do? its the 50gal with angels.

its big peice off wood and i have no where to boil it? can i just fill up a tub with kettle water or something?

how often and how many water changes a day should i do? its the 50gal with angels.

keep changing the boiling water until there's no more colour coming from the wood.

Most reactions

Back