Drift Wood From Local Beach

steve711

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I live near the sea and walk along a coastal path nearly everyday and there are always interesting shaped pieces of washed up wood.

I have collected a couple of pieces that I think would look good in my tank.

I know you have to soak bog wood for a while before use but does anyone have any advice/experience on using wood found washed up on beaches?

I plan to wash it thoroughly even though it looks very clean, there is no bark on it, and I'll soak it for a couple of months at least.

Advice welcome.

i would really doubt it. They will be saturated with salt and I think they would upset the chemical balance in your tank. I would say no even if soaked for a year tbh! :D

greg

I had this reply from someone from another forum so am still unsure:

"I picked a piece of driftwood off the beach in Santa Monica, CA. Soaked and boiled it periodically for about a month to kill bacteria, get some of the salt out, encourage any chemicals out. Stuck it in the tank. No problems since.

-John N."

From Drs Foster and Smith:

Though tempting, avoid using wood or roots found outdoors. Often times, these pieces have not dried or cured properly and can rot when placed in your aquarium.

See more here: http://citebite.com/s7w3k2n2dqrw

Well, I love FosterSmith, but since they sell driftwood, of course they would tell you not to collect any. Personally, I wouldn't use any pieces from the sea. But I would use some found from a freshwater lake or river.

Well, I love FosterSmith, but since they sell driftwood, of course they would tell you not to collect any. Personally, I wouldn't use any pieces from the sea. But I would use some found from a freshwater lake or river.

yup same, I would use would I found out and about as long as I cleaned it really well, boiled it, baked it etc! I just wouldn't use driftwood because of all the salt throughout it.

greg

There are two differences of opinion on this subject.

Generally opinion hear appears to be against it and on another forum they are all saying it's OK after a good long soaking with some people suggesting boiling as well. Some have actually done this themselves with no issues so far.

...still would say no. I found a lovely piece of old driftwood (from a really old ship(still had the brass pins in it)) and I was going to use this. I boiled it 3 times, baked it and soaked it for ages, but it was still really salty, as if it was leeching out constantly. So it's a no from me. Others seem to have better success though :\ it's up to you!

greg

Thanks Greg.

I think I'll let this run for a while until people lose interest/stop commenting and gauge a census of opinion.

All comments are welcome and appreciated.

I would like to use the pieces as they are, in my opinion, great shapes but I will resist temptation if all majority advice says 'No' unless someone has first hand experience of it being OK.

I wouldn't use driftwood found at the shore in my tanks due to salt soaked in the wood. I do use wood I have collected along the river where I live. The area is clean and unpoluted. I clean and sand it removing as much dirt and rot as I can find. then I boiled the heck out of it ( several hours daily for a week) and removed any more rot, dirt, etc; that is visable. Then I sanded all sharp or jagged edges and put it in a container full of water with a rock on it to keep it under water. Changed the water daily and after a few weeks it was ready to go. There are two pieces in my tank now and no problems. The ADF loves it and my cories like to hide under it.

As long as the wood is well weathered there is absolutely no reason to not use driftwood from the beach. Many people collect wood from the beach and put it in their tanks. If you are concerned about the salt, then boiling and soaking it will remove it. If you have a problem with it floating then soaking it in baking soda solution is supposed to help.

I even think that the wood you buy in your LFS has been soaked in salt water for a period of time. It is supposed to speed things along and also kill lots of nasties that are on/inside the wood.

James

Thanks for your input James.

It appears people in America are quite prepared and do use driftwood collected from the beach from the responses I've had elsewhere and the Brits generally don't favour the idea.

I think I'll soak the pieces for a couple of months and keep testing the water, I won't be able to boil them as they are about 3ft long, I guess I'll pour several lots of boiling water over them periodically.

Thanks again.

Most reactions

Back