Drawf Gourami

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Csm90

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi I've noticed today that my female dwarf gourami has been lying on its side most of the day and looks to be breathing heavily. My male dwarf has been near her a lot more as well. I am worried about that I will lose her can anyone help ? I've attached image

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 80
If you could post some precise info about your water parameters and tank size and inhabitants etc, that would help.

Does she have any sores on her, or anything that looks like an open wound? Does she appear bloated and/or are her scales sticking out?

Hi tank is a 64 litre presently inside it are 8 tetras 1 male dwarf gourami, 1 golden gourami. 1 blue top spot gourami, 2 royal ram cichlids, 1 leopard catfish 1 clown loach and two platies. Doesn't appear to have any open wounds that I can see. She appears to find out hard to swim. And her scales are not sticking out.

Oh, that's quite a large amount of fish in a relatively small tank, I'm afraid. That might even be the answer to the problem. Clown loaches in particular can grow to about a foot long (smaller tank will stunt them and shorten their life considerably). Plus they need to be in groups of 6 or more in order that they feel comfortable.

Apart from stocking, can you tell us any info about Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, temperature etc? In a tank this heavily stocked you may find a large amount of waste leading to poor water conditions. Did you fully cycle your tank before adding fish?

She has died now unfortunately. I have actually just set a 100 lite which I plan to move them to as the tank hasn't been what I wanted it from start don't think my gravel is thick enough which is causing problems in terms of water quality. Ammonia was a bit high but nitrate and nitrite were fine and ph was 7

Most reactions

Back