Downsizing My Tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JasonMichael

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi Fish lovers!

I've had to make the hard choice to downsize my tank from a  350 litre Juwel Rio 300 to a Fluvial Edge 48 litre (huge difference). I've found I didn't have as much time on my hands anymore to maintain the tank. Has anyone else had any solutions to keep a large tank running with low maintenance? I was thinking I could maybe just create a rock and wood theme, minimising the time it takes to clean. I also have an external filter which is the Fluval 406, however I'm thinking I could put in the internal filter back into the Juwel Rio, any easier to maintain??? 

Any advice would be great, I'm upset that I have to downsize, I have bought my other tank though which is currently in a cycle, I wouldn't mind having the 2! 

Thanks! 

A well planted and well established tank will help.  Plants will help to keep nitrates down.

My preference would be for external filters, always.  The filtration just can't be matched by an internal filter.  

What was your maintenance routine before and how often are you looking at performing maintenance?  You may find you have to do less if you understock the tank, some fish are messier than others etc.

Far_King said:
A well planted and well established tank will help.  Plants will help to keep nitrates down.

My preference would be for external filters, always.  The filtration just can't be matched by an internal filter.  
What was your maintenance routine before and how often are you looking at performing maintenance?  You may find you have to do less if you understock the tank, some fish are messier than others etc.

Thanks Far_King! 
At the moment I would be cleaning the glass weekly, with a monthly water change, and I've found its generally working for me, however lately there has been such an algae build up its really becoming difficult and longer to remove it. 

Would you suggest a Rock/Wood scape? Or still include some plants? In terms of stocking there isn't much in there right now, majority are small fish, with 1 Blue Acara as the main. The Yoyo loach needs to go (even though he has so much character and is really playful), as well as the ghost knife. 

A monthly water change is quite a long time to go.  If that's what you intend to do you would have to change a large amount of the water at that time.  Probably 80% at least.  It would take less of your time to change 20-30%  weekly but I understand that life can get in the way of a consistent schedule.

I've found using a water change pump and having water at room temperature in a cannister I've filled the day before is a very quick way to change water in a short amount of time.

There's no reason you can't have wood and rock in the tank or any substrate of your choosing.  Live plants in my opinion would be absolutely necessary if you're looking at a long term water change schedule.  

The less stock of fish you have in there the less waste there will be per water volume.  If you stock to capacity or overstocked you would definitely have problems with fish health.  Perhaps invest in some snails to help deal with any waste in the substrate.

If you do choose to go down this path you would need a master test kit and have to keep a close eye on the water parameters.  If the parameters are off you would need to change water more regularly.  The only thing that will get rid of the nitrates that build up in the water will be what the plants can absorb or water changes.

I personally have never left a tank that long without water changes, never more than a couple of weeks for one of mine that's well planted so I am talking from theory here rather than experience in having done this.  Other members may have attempted it and could possibly provide you with more advice.

Far_King said:
A monthly water change is quite a long time to go.  If that's what you intend to do you would have to change a large amount of the water at that time.  Probably 80% at least.  It would take less of your time to change 20-30%  weekly but I understand that life can get in the way of a consistent schedule.

I've found using a water change pump and having water at room temperature in a cannister I've filled the day before is a very quick way to change water in a short amount of time.

There's no reason you can't have wood and rock in the tank or any substrate of your choosing.  Live plants in my opinion would be absolutely necessary if you're looking at a long term water change schedule.  

The less stock of fish you have in there the less waste there will be per water volume.  If you stock to capacity or overstocked you would definitely have problems with fish health.  Perhaps invest in some snails to help deal with any waste in the substrate.

If you do choose to go down this path you would need a master test kit and have to keep a close eye on the water parameters.  If the parameters are off you would need to change water more regularly.  The only thing that will get rid of the nitrates that build up in the water will be what the plants can absorb or water changes.

I personally have never left a tank that long without water changes, never more than a couple of weeks for one of mine that's well planted so I am talking from theory here rather than experience in having done this.  Other members may have attempted it and could possibly provide you with more advice.

Awesome, thanks heaps of the advice. Might have to give the water change pump a go and do it weekly. Thanks!

If anyone else has any advice or experience with this, would love to hear from you! 

Far_King said:
 Perhaps invest in some snails to help deal with any waste in the substrate.

Do snails eat fish waste? I have some nerite snails and a mystery snail. Would they eat waste?

Seems they contribute a lot of waste!

I've not had a snail that produces a lot of waste...they're generally good to have.

I'm new to fish keeping, so keep that in mind when weighing my opinion. I use a hose that attaches to the sink for draining and refilling the tank (maybe this or something similar is what is meant by a water change pump above). Because I have a bad back, I wouldn't be able to do it at all if I had to lift buckets full of water, and I can't imagine how much longer it would take. I heartily recommend trying one before you go to the trouble to downsize your tank. It makes water changing SO much easier.

I am not experienced enough to give advice on the algae.

I don't intend this to be sarcastic, but if you really do not have the one or at most two hours per week to look after an aquarium, you are in the wrong hobby.  I have seven tanks (totalling more than 300 gallons) and it only takes me 3 hours to do the 50-60% water changes in all of them once every week.  Choose a day when other issues are less likely to intrude, and keep the schedule.  There is absolutely no substitute for significant partial water changes if live fish are in the tank.  No amount of filters can replicate the benefits of a water change.  And when we bring home live fish, as with any live creature, we have a responsibility to provide the best care we can.

You mentioned algae on the glass...this is caused by organics/nutrients and light, and more frequent partial water changes (with substrate vacuuming) would help with this, and perhaps the light needs adjusting.  A healthy aquarium cannot be algae-free, but we can keep the algae under control.  But it takes a bit of regular maintenance.

A comment about tests was made, and testing is useful.  But if one waits for test results to indicate a problem, it is too late.  Fish are affected by everything that goes on in the water, or is added to the water.  Prevention, not reaction, is the key to a healthy aquarium and healthy fish.

Byron.

Only you know the demands on your time, I would vote for downsizing.  Most of us do not have or want to spend 3 hours weekly doing water exchanges.  The Fluval is a cool looking tank, and should take much less time to maintain.  I have a Fluval Spec which takes about 15 minutes for weekly water exchanges.

If you have tons of money, you can always hire a pro to come maintain your tank, just like the businesses with aquariums.  All fun, no work.

Just something else to consider. Small tanks needs more attention as far as water changes go. They might take less time to do but they would need to be much more frequent in order to keep a healthy tank. The less water there is the less scope there is for error. You could have a problem in the bigger tank that would cause little trouble and could possibly be rectified quickly. The same problem in the small tank would spell disaster. Also, what would happen if you went away on holiday or something?

A water change in the small tank might take 15 minutes, but if there's a problem for whatever reason - tank crash, fish-in cycle, disease etc - it will end up taking more time to carry out potentially 100% water changes every day, and depending on the issue, because of the small water volume maybe even twice a day.

I personally would sort the algae problem out and keep the big tank. Plants are definitely a good idea. Your water changes do need to be more frequent, but the big tank will be much more stable if you can manage it :)

Flubberlump said:
Just something else to consider. Small tanks needs more attention as far as water changes go. They might take less time to do but they would need to be much more frequent in order to keep a healthy tank. The less water there is the less scope there is for error. You could have a problem in the bigger tank that would cause little trouble and could possibly be rectified quickly. The same problem in the small tank would spell disaster. Also, what would happen if you went away on holiday or something?

A water change in the small tank might take 15 minutes, but if there's a problem for whatever reason - tank crash, fish-in cycle, disease etc - it will end up taking more time to carry out potentially 100% water changes every day, and depending on the issue, because of the small water volume maybe even twice a day.

I personally would sort the algae problem out and keep the big tank. Plants are definitely a good idea. Your water changes do need to be more frequent, but the big tank will be much more stable if you can manage it
smile.png

scandie said:
Only you know the demands on your time, I would vote for downsizing.  Most of us do not have or want to spend 3 hours weekly doing water exchanges.  The Fluval is a cool looking tank, and should take much less time to maintain.  I have a Fluval Spec which takes about 15 minutes for weekly water exchanges.

If you have tons of money, you can always hire a pro to come maintain your tank, just like the businesses with aquariums.  All fun, no work.

Byron said:
I don't intend this to be sarcastic, but if you really do not have the one or at most two hours per week to look after an aquarium, you are in the wrong hobby.  I have seven tanks (totalling more than 300 gallons) and it only takes me 3 hours to do the 50-60% water changes in all of them once every week.  Choose a day when other issues are less likely to intrude, and keep the schedule.  There is absolutely no substitute for significant partial water changes if live fish are in the tank.  No amount of filters can replicate the benefits of a water change.  And when we bring home live fish, as with any live creature, we have a responsibility to provide the best care we can.

You mentioned algae on the glass...this is caused by organics/nutrients and light, and more frequent partial water changes (with substrate vacuuming) would help with this, and perhaps the light needs adjusting.  A healthy aquarium cannot be algae-free, but we can keep the algae under control.  But it takes a bit of regular maintenance.

A comment about tests was made, and testing is useful.  But if one waits for test results to indicate a problem, it is too late.  Fish are affected by everything that goes on in the water, or is added to the water.  Prevention, not reaction, is the key to a healthy aquarium and healthy fish.

Byron.

BeckyCats said:
I'm new to fish keeping, so keep that in mind when weighing my opinion. I use a hose that attaches to the sink for draining and refilling the tank (maybe this or something similar is what is meant by a water change pump above). Because I have a bad back, I wouldn't be able to do it at all if I had to lift buckets full of water, and I can't imagine how much longer it would take. I heartily recommend trying one before you go to the trouble to downsize your tank. It makes water changing SO much easier.

I am not experienced enough to give advice on the algae.

Thanks for all the input guys! Really appreciate it. 

After doing more research I've come across a device called The Python No Spill Clean & Fill System - its a rare find in Australia but Amazon do ship them here which is great, no LFS here really sell them, although they do use something similar in there stores to there cleaning.

Im going to purchase one of these and I can finally get my hobby back on track and not be upset that I almost had to give it up because of time. 

I have purchased however a smaller tank which is 48Litres, it has been setup and looking great! I always wanted a second tank anyway, so maybe it was meant to be haha. 

One thing though - we had a power failure in my area last night and the electricity was turning off and on (I wasn't home at the time), it seemed to have short circuited my T5 Lighting Unit in my Juwel Rio 300, I tried my spare lighting tubes and they didn't work either. It's quite expensive to replace the lighting units, as there are 2 of them its going to cost me approx. $500 AUD for the 2.

Has anyone had any experience in changing a T5 model to LEDs? I was thinking of purchasing an LED unit to sit in the middle of the tank, and then purchasing a cover from a hardware store and cutting it to size.... do you think that would work as a DIY? 

Yey to keeping both tanks :D jealous though. Do you know what you'll be doing with the smaller one?

Can't help with the LEDs I'm afraid as I have the standard t5 unit on my lido.

You down sized to a smaller tank because you didn't have time to take care of the larger one...and now your keeping both?!?!?
Forgive me but this makes little sense to me.
If you continue your current maintenance, your just gonna have two tanks in trouble. 
I suspect that your algae problem is directly related to your monthly partial water change - I bet money that your tank nitrates are very high. As others have pointed out, you really need to do weekly water changes and this should only take about a half hour to an hour. I'd think anyone should be able to find that amount of time, if they really want to have an aquarium/fish hobby? 

Most reactions

Back