Dosing Seachem Prime

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishy_7

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

I do realise that the dosage is 5ml /200L of new water but my water change bucket is only 10 litres. I simply do not have anything to measure out 0.25ml!

Do I just pour in one ml into tank and then add the new tank water?  Seems inefficient and allows chlorine and heavy metals to exist in the tank water before the Prime can react to neutralise it.

How do you apply prime?  My typical water change is 30 litres every week.

Thanks.

Easiest method I find for dosages of Prime is to use syringes.

There are a variety of cheap new syringes that can be got from chemist stores or online, eBay for example.

I generally use 1ml and 2.5ml syringes, I mark the correct dosages for routine water changes on syringe with permanent marker pen just to make it easier to see where to fill syringe to.

If you're using bucket method for water changes, simply add correct dose of prime directly to each bucket volume of water before adding bucket water to the tank.

However, if you decide at a later date to do water changes using a hose system, like a python hose system, which is direct hose connection from tap to tank, you will then need to dose enough prime for the entire tank water volume rather than just the amount of water changed.

I am guessing that it maybe easier to just put 5ml in tank and then pour in the new water via bucket then? There are no problems with slight over dose is there?

Total water volume is circa 180 litres, 5ml treats 200 litres. Thanks.

What size is your tank?

You can very easily get cheap plastic syringes as i mentioned, online or from chemist/pharmacy shop, only a couple pounds or dollars depends where you're based.

This for example - 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1ml-2ml-5ml-10ml-Sterile-Syringe-with-Needles-Combo-pack-CE-Mark-X-5-/171117305575?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Medical_Supplies_Disposables_ET&var=&hash=item27d762dee7

If you cant get syringes then perhaps could get measuring spoons thats usually used for baking etc, a normal teaspoon is 5ml, so can get half teaspoons is 2.5ml, quarter teaspoon is 1.25 ml, one eighth teaspoon 0.6ml  may be a little more accurate that way.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11-pcs-White-Plastic-Kitchen-Measuring-Measure-Spoons-Cups-Tablespoon-Sets-New-/370680482303?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item564e4749ff

Also have heard people using eye droppers or pipettes to good use for small dosages although i don't actually know what exact dosages they will give.

A few suggestion for you there, hope these will give you an idea.

EDIT - The second link is not live for some reason, just copy and paste the url to your browser, that should work.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Pop into a tesco with a chemist, they sell them for about 50p.  I grabbed a load when I got started.

What I do is go to my local drugstore and ask them for "child syrup" syringes, I have about 12 of them, each one for each bottle. :)

its really concentrated stuff but i never try to be that exact with dechlorinator etc - ill use a good sized syringe and ensure each bucket has something like the 0.25ml going in :)

Most reactions

Back