Don’t rehome ... enjoy

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

This is happening with lion fish.

I hear this is becoming a thing in Florida and Texas, where feral plecos are becoming a huge environmental problem. It's hard to believe anything that ugly could taste good, until I remember that I love lobster... :lol:

Unfortunately this is true. Here is a video showing the havoc they are wreaking:

Plecos in Florida

Though it is worth nothing that I was at Blue Springs State Park last Christmas and saw the manatees up close - I did not see any plecos and that water is crystal clear 25 feet down or more. You could see the bottom clear as day.

I suspect that this video was taken somewhere else in the state park that I did not observe.

It kinda does sound good from a flavour point of view

Although since I got an aquarium i can’t even look at a fish finger without wanting to barf

Unfortunately this is true. Here is a video showing the havoc they are wreaking:

Plecos in Florida

Though it is worth nothing that I was at Blue Springs State Park last Christmas and saw the manatees up close - I did not see any plecos and that water is crystal clear 25 feet down or more. You could see the bottom clear as day.

I suspect that this video was taken somewhere else in the state park that I did not observe.
This is tragic, those poor manatees 😔...another reason to hate plecos 🤷‍♀️

Do people eat monkfish and anglerfish? I don't think I've ever been THAT hungry. ha ha
iv eaten monk fish before want bad to be fair

So, this is a little off topic, but we were in New Smyrna, Florida, a few years back and saw some manatees. It is said that there are a ton of bull sharks in the estuary there. I wondered why the sharks don't absolutely massacre the manatees, as they seem to have no natural defenses. Anybody know?

Don’t hate them ... eat them ahah
🤢 I don't eat fish....and not because I love them etc...because they taste and smell sooo bad! 🤔 don't mind scampi and calamari...and I'm partial to a smoked mussel or 2

Manatee are wonderful animals....love 'em to bits, such characters :)
We saw a manatee in Florida last week, swimming right by the beach less than 10 feet away from us. He poked his little nose above the water, before swimming over to a woman laying on a green float. He a bumped the float and the lady started yelling and he swam away

That pleco sounds delicious. I love mango!

Probably because of the manatees large size and slow movements, the sharks don’t register them as prey. They also have really thick skin!

Do people eat monkfish and anglerfish? I don't think I've ever been THAT hungry. ha ha
Monkfish is deemed a real delicacy, here in Europe...white, meaty and full of flavour. Costs a fair packet, too!
That said, Huss, or Rock Salmon is easily as good, favour-wise and costs a fraction of the price, if you can get it. Less aware fishermen cast it aside, because Joe and Josephine Public is too ignorant of its qualities and is put off my what it is...dogfish. :rolleyes:

So, this is a little off topic, but we were in New Smyrna, Florida, a few years back and saw some manatees. It is said that there are a ton of bull sharks in the estuary there. I wondered why the sharks don't absolutely massacre the manatees, as they seem to have no natural defenses. Anybody know?

Lots of "unofficial" websites have similar arguments.

Monkfish is deemed a real delicacy, here in Europe...white, meaty and full of flavour. Costs a fair packet, too!
That said, Huss, or Rock Salmon is easily as good, favour-wise and costs a fraction of the price, if you can get it. Less aware fishermen cast it aside, because Joe and Josephine Public is too ignorant of its qualities and is put off my what it is...dogfish. :rolleyes:
"Rock salmon." Ha ha ha It's all in the marketing, isn't it? Maybe I could get rich selling carp and calling it "sludge salmon." Or maybe "Sucking salmon." Doesn't sound as appetizing, somehow. I guess that's why I'm in music, not marketing...

Most reactions

Back