Dojo Loach!!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pica_nuttalli

don't be a twit
Reaction score
so i went to petco yesterday and was just kinda poking around when i saw this adorable 4" dojo in with easily 2 dozen chinese algae eaters. i was busy being sad and explaining to my bf about how awful CAEs are, when he said "he's kinda cute; why don't you get him?" :hyper: and so i did. :D

the thing is, i think he'll come out of quarantine before my krib fry are big enough to escape being eaten. :crazy: they're about .25" right now and look quite edible. am i worrying needlessly or should i get a 10g started ASAP?

Dojos are known for eating anything and everything, and if you had eggs in the tank then you would have a problem. However, I've never heard of dojos being a threat to fry. I don't know, but I would think that the setup should be okay. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will come by and prove me wrong. :p

Also, dojos in general will prefer to be kept in groups of 3 or more, although they can still be fun and entertaining when kept with no other loaches present.

yeah, i kinda feel bad keeping him all on his lonesome but it was that or the CAEs! with any luck i can get 2 more in the not-so-distant future.

one concern i have is what sort of signs should i watch for during the quarantine period? are dojos prone to ich, fin-rot, parasites...?

Hi,

Can just tell you my own experiences, ive kept dojo for getting on five years - they don't like the temp too warm, mine are actually in a coldwater set up that runs at around 71F - they will eat flake, pellets, bloodworm, brine shrimp etc etc just about anything - also algae tabs and veg - peas cucumber and such. A sand or soft gravel substrate is best because they often hide in it don't worry if you can't see him every now and again mine often bury themselves, provide a 'cave' ornament or something they can wriggle into for cover - also watch havng the lid off they can be escape artists.

As for disease - I've never had a sick one - think they are pretty hardy :)

Amber said:
Hi,

Can just tell you my own experiences, ive kept dojo for getting on five years - they don't like the temp too warm, mine are actually in a coldwater set up that runs at around 71F - they will eat flake, pellets, bloodworm, brine shrimp etc etc just about anything - also algae tabs and veg - peas cucumber and such. A sand or soft gravel substrate is best because they often hide in it don't worry if you can't see him every now and again mine often bury themselves, provide a 'cave' ornament or something they can wriggle into for cover - also watch havng the lid off they can be escape artists.

As for disease - I've never had a sick one - think they are pretty hardy :)
[snapback]853029[/snapback]​

:nod: :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back