Doing water changes with pump

Fishguy2

Reaction score
Hello I have a large a aquarium and I can't carry buckets anymore. So I have been putting a bucket in the kitchen sink getting the temperature right then leaving the bucket to over fill. Then I put a pump in and pump the water directly to the fish tank adding the tap safe to the tank. Is this safe for the fish and beneficial bacteria. It's the same as filling up my pond

You can buy a hose, and an attachment to connect it to a sink. Run it with the right temp mix, and just dechlorinate the tank so the chlorine hits the chems upon arrival. I've been doing it for 20 years - no issues.
The connectors come from the garden place (quick release hose connections) and you need a food grade hose. Ones made for aquariums are not cheap, but quite good. Avoid the aqueon brand ones and go with python, if you take that route. Your back will sing its praises.

Hello Fishguy. I understand the bucket method. It's too much work. The way you're doing things now is fine. The water treatment works on contact with the water, so your fish won't be hurt at all. As long as the new water is within a few degrees of whats already in the tank, you're good. I got away from the buckets and now use a python. It's just a tube that I run from the tank to the drain in the shower. I can remove half the water in a large tank in less than 30 minutes. After adding the water treatment directly into the tank, I use a garden hose with a faucet attachment and fill the tank with new water. I can usually do several tanks in a couple of hours.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

dechlorinate the tank so the chlorine hits the chems upon arrival. I've been doing it for 20 years - no issue

Hi Gary, when you dechlorinate the tank before adding in the new tap water. Do you you add a dosage that covers the whole tanks volume, or do you add a dosage that covers only the volume of the water that you are adding ?

I have old fashioned chlorine, not chloramines. Check what you have. But I add enough for the incoming water only.

When you pour with a hose, the new water arrives agitated, and that eliminates a lot of the chlorine easily. But chloramine is a different beast.

I have old fashioned chlorine, not chloramines. Check what you have. But I add enough for the incoming water only.

When you pour with a hose, the new water arrives agitated, and that eliminates a lot of the chlorine easily. But chloramine is a different beast.
Can you check that online ? or do you need to do a test to prove weather the water from my tap is chlorine or chloramines ?

So do you put the dose in the tank, and then add the water ? or do you pour the dose in as the tap water is flowing in to the tank ?

Most places have municipal water organizations you can call, or check online. The US leans to chloramines, and other countries less so. I'm uncertain as to where St Helen's is.

I add it just before I add the new water.

I have a large, eccentric set up, and am retired. In a Canadian winter, I have to do a few tanks daily, because the hot water mix is overpowered by the very cold cold water. In summer, I can do 60 tanks in under 3 hours with a hose to a floor drain (a toilet will often do) and a hose to refill with.

St helens is in England. I’m sure I will be able to find out online somewhere.

I always thought that tap water had to be treated and left to sit in a bucket for a short while before adding in to your tank. I currently do my water changes with buckets. but may try the hose method at some point.

Wow that sounds like a lot of work in the winter. I can imagine that being a nightmare if you had to do it by bucket.

It is so easy with a hose or a python. It is quicker and saves your back.

I looked for it, and there is a water authority.

I have just found an interesting article on Practical Fishkeeping's website. We need to ask our water companies for a Schedule Four Drinking Water Quality Report. This is not the same as the water quality report on their website as it includes chlorine/chloramine.

Now UK members know what to ask for.

I have been using pumps both to empty and refill tanks for years. I have no basement so my 20 tanks are spread out over two buildings and 4 or 5 rooms. My bathroom is fish central. I have a 32 gal Rubbermaid trash can, several 20 gals and a bunch of 5 gal, and 2.5 gal buckets. I keep duplicates in the two different buildings.

I drains water out windiws where I can and down the toilet when it is winter and the ground is froze. I batch changing water in the rubbermaids and then pump back into tanks from them. I have excellent well water so I do not use dechlor. But if I needed it I would add it to the changing water in the cans.

I use pythin hoses for emptuing but drining water quality hoses for refills. all Use garden hose connections and and I have adapted the pup outputs to accept them. In my out building with tanks I have a utility sing which as garden hose connections on the faucet. I bath my RO/DI water there and sometimes refill tanks directly from the tap as i have duak outputs- one for the hose and another for running things in the sink.

This system is how at almost age 75 I am still able to keep up with all the tanks. But it is getting harder.

I have a number of pumps- large and small.

Most reactions

Back