Does This Sound Ok To U Guys ?

R1ch13

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I dont quite yet understand all of this C02 stuff

But i am starting adding it to my tank as of tonight !

Is it ok to use a normal airstone on the end of the airline just to make the bubbles a little smaller ?

Would this cause problems etc ?

It is only a 2ft tank and it holds around 13 gallons (UK)

Im thinking of using a Robinsons bottle i think its around 1.5 litres !

Does all of this sound ok to you guys ?

Thanks alot

Richie

An airstone gives of large bubbles which isnt suitable for CO2 as you'll find that most of the bubbles reach the surface without having dissolved into the water. A ceramic airstone gives of very fine bubbles which is best as these will have a better chance of dissolving before reaching the surface.

Rich13,

Have a butchers on Aquaessentials for ceramic CO2 diffusers. Prices vary greatly but they look great. I have a huge JBL plastic diffuser which is working really well, but the glassware looks fantastic and is also very functional. The airstone is a waste of CO2 and, hence, money.

Agreed.

The 0.2 seconds it takes either air or CO2 bubble to reach the surface is not nearly enough time!
Secondly, using an airstone will cause surface agitation thus REDUCING CO2 absorbtion.

As supplied with professional kits, use a bubble ladder - this keeps the CO2 bubbles in the tank for much longer and considerable reduces surface agitation.

Andy

No need for fancy equipment... I just run my CO2 in through a ceramic air stone placed directly below my filter intake. So every single one of those tiny bubbles runs all the way through my eheim filter system before having a chance to reach the surface...

well in my tank i have some interpet power filter that has a little ventura (sp) on the top so that the water that comes out is diffused and all bubbley lol !

And i also have a filter that you attach to an airpump its not a box filter but its like a Tube that goes from the top of the tank to the bottom and it has a foam cyclinder on the bottom ! the air goes along the airline into the tube and that then forces the water out of the top of tthe tube !

Is there anyway and any benifit of me linking my Co2 up to this ?

Thanks alot

Richie

Most reactions

Back