Does Or Has Anyone Kept Zebra Danio With Giant Danio?

super-MAGuire

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am currently stocking a very large, long 300cm x 50cm x 60cm tank... i have introduced 15 zebra danio as a starter as it is not my tank so making sure they survive befor spending money on more fish, i am just maintaining it. It is over a year old so fully cycled ect, but has sat with only a couple big common plec in and looking a bit sad for itself.

I do want to up the number of zebras in a couple of weeks, but would like to add something with a little size to it, so was thinking a shoal of 10+ giant danio, would they go with the zebras? or would their be fin nipping ect?

Zebra Danios are cooler water fish than Giant Danios, the former should be kept in a heaterless tank that ideally stays below 20C for most of the year, while Giants do much better in true tropicla temps around 24C.

Look to other temperate fish that can work well in a heaterless tank including...

Redline Torpedo Barbs
Rosy Barbs
Paradise Fish
White Cloud Mountain Minnow
Peppered Corydoras
3-lined Corydoras
Barilius (recently reclassified to Opsarius) spp. (but be careful what type you get, the larger ones will think nothing of snacking on adult Zebra Danios or anything else similar sized/shaped)
Chinese/Gold Barbs (saw some lovely green/red wild forms the other week, rather than the normal bright yellow/orange form)
Shiners
Weather Loaches

Zebra Danios are cooler water fish than Giant Danios, the former should be kept in a heaterless tank that ideally stays below 20C for most of the year, while Giants do much better in true tropicla temps around 24C.

Look to other temperate fish that can work well in a heaterless tank including...

Redline Torpedo Barbs
Rosy Barbs
Paradise Fish
Peppered Corydoras
3-lined Corydoras
Barilius (recently reclassified to Opsarius) spp. (but be careful what type you get, the larger ones will think nothing of snacking on adult Zebra Danios or anything else similar sized/shaped)
Chinese/Gold Barbs (saw some lovely green/red wild forms the other week, rather than the normal bright yellow/orange form)
Shiners
Weather Loaches

I have read that both quite like temporal temps but going to keep the tank around 23-24 to compromise, i do like gold barbs, but wondered if they would get nippy, i was intending keeping angels in the same take, at 23-24degree c. Which i know is cooler than ideal, but tank bred angels should be fine. What would be the best non nippy fish out the what you mentioned... I do like redline torpedo barb, a shop has them near me for £6 a pop at around 4-6cm long... i know a shoal would be best but do they get terretorial as they grow larger and older. Space is really not a issue, just parameter matching/best compromise and compatibility of fishes.

Redline Torpedo Barbs
Rosy Barbs
Paradise Fish
Peppered Corydoras
3-lined Corydoras
Shiners
Weather Loaches

I have read that both quite like temporal temps but going to keep the tank around 23-24 to compromise, i do like gold barbs, but wondered if they would get nippy, i was intending keeping angels in the same take, at 23-24degree c. Which i know is cooler than ideal, but tank bred angels should be fine. What would be the best non nippy fish out the what you mentioned... I do like redline torpedo barb, a shop has them near me for £6 a pop at around 4-6cm long... i know a shoal would be best but do they get terretorial as they grow larger and older. Space is really not a issue, just parameter matching/best compromise and compatibility of fishes.

If you plan to keep the tank at 23/24C then I advise you to scrap the Zebra Danios (sell or rehome them), they really are not tropical fish and you plan on very close to mainstream tropical temps. The same applies to all those other fish I listed including the Redline Torpedo Barbs, if you plan above 20C for most of the year you should not be buying them, look to the equally beautiful but tropical temperature Filament Barbs instead of the Torpedos. Do not be fooled by seeing Redline Torpedo Barbs are good for 15-25C waters and therefore thinking keeping them permanently at the high end of that range is perfectly alright, because it is not, a healthy Torpedo in a temperate tank would live for ~8 years whereas ones that are kept at the high end of that range do very well to live for 5... Almost halving the life expectancy of the fish!

There is a whole range of fish out there, there is no need to compromise the health of fish by mixing species from different temperature waters, choose an achieveable temperature for the tank and then use that to choose appropriate speices that are compatable with each other.

Redline Torpedo Barbs
Rosy Barbs
Paradise Fish
Peppered Corydoras
3-lined Corydoras
Shiners
Weather Loaches

If you plan to keep the tank at 23/24C then I advise you to scrap the Zebra Danios (sell or rehome them), they really are not tropical fish and you plan on very close to mainstream tropical temps. The same applies to all those other fish I listed including the Redline Torpedo Barbs, if you plan above 20C for most of the year you should not be buying them, look to the equally beautiful but tropical temperature Filament Barbs instead of the Torpedos. Do not be fooled by seeing Redline Torpedo Barbs are good for 15-25C waters and therefore thinking keeping them permanently at the high end of that range is perfectly alright, because it is not, a healthy Torpedo in a temperate tank would live for ~8 years whereas ones that are kept at the high end of that range do very well to live for 5... Almost halving the life expectancy of the fish!

There is a whole range of fish out there, there is no need to compromise the health of fish by mixing species from different temperature waters, choose an achieveable temperature for the tank and then use that to choose appropriate speices that are compatable with each other.

Would the giant danios be ok at that stated temp? i believe i could be haveing a trade off.

The zebra's are mainly their to make sure the water in the tank is of ok,as i do not know if it has any resident diseases... as it has not been stocked very well in the past with everything eating everything else, and only residents left is a super timid, albino rainbow shark... which is being traded to a LFS (1st things 1st) and two common plecs... I done a large 60-70% water change on the tank 3 days ago, and scrubbed it, and cleaned half of the filter media. I know zebra danios are very hardy and often used in cycling, so put them in befor investing more money into the tank to make sure its fish worthiable without taking everything out and boiling everything... starting from scratch.

The main centre piece fish i want is angels (6-8)... so what type of fast moveing, surface interacting, shoaling fish would you recomend within the temperature range around 25/27, ph is 6.6 and barely detectable harness, so pretty soft water.

The problem is, so many fish in the local fish shop... you ask "will that go with this"... the reply is always ah yeah, they will go great... but, it doesnt really, does it. one fish's prime temperate is another fishes cooking temp!
Thanks for the help btw

Redline Torpedo Barbs
Rosy Barbs
Paradise Fish
Peppered Corydoras
3-lined Corydoras
Shiners
Weather Loaches

Would the giant danios be ok at that stated temp? i believe i could be haveing a trade off.

The zebra's are mainly their to make sure the water in the tank is of ok,as i do not know if it has any resident diseases... as it has not been stocked very well in the past with everything eating everything else, and only residents left is a super timid, albino rainbow shark... which is being traded to a LFS (1st things 1st) and two common plecs... I done a large 60-70% water change on the tank 3 days ago, and scrubbed it, and cleaned half of the filter media. I know zebra danios are very hardy and often used in cycling, so put them in befor investing more money into the tank to make sure its fish worthiable without taking everything out and boiling everything... starting from scratch.

The main centre piece fish i want is angels (6-8)... so what type of fast moveing, surface interacting, shoaling fish would you recomend within the temperature range around 25/27, ph is 6.6 and barely detectable harness, so pretty soft water.

The problem is, so many fish in the local fish shop... you ask "will that go with this"... the reply is always ah yeah, they will go great... but, it doesnt really, does it. one fish's prime temperate is another fishes cooking temp!
Thanks for the help btw

For active surface dwelling schoolers that are safe with Angelfish (so if streamlined >4cm SL, hence why Cardinal tetra are safe and Neon Tetra are a food source in the wild for them), my immediate choice would be a big group of Bloodfin Tetra... Note this is not the more common (at least down on the south coast) Glass Bloodfin Tetra. They are not as active, but you appear to have good water stats for a big group of Hatchetfish, one of the larger species like Thorococharax stellatus would look great in a large setup.

If you fancied some vibrant colour more than movement, but have no plans for anything <6cm and streamlined, Golden Wonder Killifish are an option with at least 3 females per male to help the girls get some peace. African Butterfly Fish have similar needs, but in addtion tankmates need to be calm feeders and not too hectic zooming around the tank (often mixed with Leopard Bushfish; Congo Tetras; Upside Down Synos).

Most reactions

Back