Does my plec have enough to eat?

s10moor

Reaction score
my tank is tank is free from algae since i got my catfish two weeks ago and im a little worried...can i feed him something else? how do i feed him if he only comes out at night?

You should feed him other things, definitely.

You need to feed it algae discs or the like. these are its staple food. You could also get shrimp pellets.

What type of plec is he? Common? If so, how big is your tank, and do you know its max size? Check out the pinned article in catfish cradle for info on plecs. :D

oh my goodness!! have i been starving him all this time?!! Im not sure what type he is...i looked on the catfish pin and i think he's a clown but i could well be wrong...my tank's 13 gallons...
wont the other fish eat his food? how do i feed him, my light goes opff long after im gone to bed...and he rarely comes out before that...

What are the fish in the tank besides the plec?

And if it's algae wafers, the other fish probably won't be abel to eat it all.

Whatever species he is, he will also need protein of some kind in his diet.
As Tempestuousfury said, shrimp pellets would be suitable, but he will also love frozen or live bloodworm.

I don'y have frozen or live bloodworms, but i have whole bloodworms in 'a rich nutritious jelly'......yum...are those ok?

i have 2 fancy goldfish and a comet... :*) i know...ive just found out in the last couple of days on this site that a) im overstocked and B) they shouldn't really be together coz he's tropical but im a little stuck until i can sort something out... only had fish the last 5 months...

i also noticed on the catfish bit that clowns don't eat algae? does that mean he may not vbe a clown? what does a common plec look like? ive been through the entire list and he looks most like a clown...

that should not be a smiley face in my last post
....it should be..... b )

but i have whole bloodworms in 'a rich nutritious jelly'

Sounds really yummy :sick: If it sinks to the bottom, then it'll do, but don't forget the algae wafers. Plecs also like veggies- cucumber, courgettes, shelled peas. Cut a thin slice of cucumber or courgette, dip it in boiling water (careful not to burn yourself) and attach it to a peg or something that will keep it on the bottom of the tank. (I use an ice lolly stick which I prod into the gravel) Or get some frozen peas and pop them out of their skin and just drop them into the tank.

never even heard of algae wafers...sigh...can i move him into a 25gallon tropical tank with possibly.....2 discus and some cardinal tetras?

s10moor said:
I don'y have frozen or live bloodworms, but i have whole bloodworms in 'a rich nutritious jelly'......yum...are those ok?
Yep, I have some of that, and all our cat fish love it, especially the banjos who come out of hiding to suck it down. yum. See this video that we made of one of our banjos eating bloodworm in jelly.

couldn't watch it....something about a decompressor...shame...i noticed you have a common plec SirMinion but i clinked on your signature and can't see any?

s10moor said:
couldn't watch it....something about a decompressor...shame...i noticed you have a common plec SirMinion but i clinked on your signature and can't see any?
Stewart the Common Plec is a fairly new addition and we haven't got many photos yet. We bought him to clean up after Martha, our Fahaka Pufferfish.

Here's a picture of Martha and Stewart together.

i wonder if my guy's a common plec...he's much lighter than your stewart though...and almost striped.....haven't named him yet

You MUST feed your pleco other things as even if ure tank was full of algae it prolly still wouldn`t survive try the plec pellet food and the wafers.

Most reactions

Back