Does Anyone Know Where I Can Buy Cheap Fish Bags?

SeaGoddess

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am going to breed in the fall. And the only problem is I can't find fish bags that aren't outrageously priced. Any Ideas?

Ask for some from your LFS? Not sure about American prices, ours are dirt cheap here online :S

If you're serious about breeding fish and shipping, selling, etc. Consider getting breather bags, much safer for transporting fish in..I'm assuming you're planning on breeding fish and then shipping/selling them to people. I can tell you, it's not just something you do for a hobby, it's a full time job. First off you have to get a good reputation, find out where and how to sell. Find out who you're shipping to and whether you'll need heat/ice packs. Being prepared to refund people with DOAS not to mention how many tanks, filters, heaters, and hours of maintenance daily you will have.

Long story short, don't plan on doing this unless you're very serious about it, experienced, and have lots of spare money.

Noahsfish said:
If you're serious about breeding fish and shipping, selling, etc. Consider getting breather bags, much safer for transporting fish in..I'm assuming you're planning on breeding fish and then shipping/selling them to people. I can tell you, it's not just something you do for a hobby, it's a full time job. First off you have to get a good reputation, find out where and how to sell. Find out who you're shipping to and whether you'll need heat/ice packs. Being prepared to refund people with DOAS not to mention how many tanks, filters, heaters, and hours of maintenance daily you will have.
Long story short, don't plan on doing this unless you're very serious about it, experienced, and have lots of spare money.
She won't be old enough to do things like that I'm afraid.

I already have my own cattle business I think I can manage a fish breeding business... lol....
cool1.gif

I make a few thousand dollars a year doing that.

Consider getting breather bags, much safer for transporting fish in

I have been shipping fish for over a decade and have never used a breather bag. I would never think about using one with labyrinth fish or corys or any other fish capable of gulping air at the surface.

Bag prices, like anything else, depend on how many you buy. Small quantities almost always cost more.

If you are serious about selling fish online, perhaps the most important thing you will need is a good camera and the ability to use it. The are many many folks selling bettas. Until you have developed a rep in the area/community, good pictures will be your only selling point.

If you have not already investigated, you should look into the IBC- http://ibcbettas.org/2012/

TwoTankAmin said:

Consider getting breather bags, much safer for transporting fish in

I have been shipping fish for over a decade and have never used a breather bag. I would never think about using one with labyrinth fish or corys or any other fish capable of gulping air at the surface.

Bag prices, like anything else, depend on how many you buy. Small quantities almost always cost more.

If you are serious about selling fish online, perhaps the most important thing you will need is a good camera and the ability to use it. The are many many folks selling bettas. Until you have developed a rep in the area/community, good pictures will be your only selling point.

If you have not already investigated, you should look into the IBC- http://ibcbettas.org/2012/
I've never actually sold fish myself so I'll definetly take your word for it. As for shipping corys I've heard that they're hard to keep alive, especially my favorite sterbai corydoras because they release toxins? I also heard that can be fixed by "kicking the bucket" do you do this and does it work?

I do not ship corys. But for years I did buy them shipped in. I do know a few well known cory breeders. They explained this trick to me years back. It is more important with sterbai in my experience.  I do believe I may have posted this somewhere on this site before. 

One shipper I knew used to put the bucket with the corys against an air pump instead.

It really depends which corys. I had a numner sent to me over a several years and only had serious issues with some sterbai and those not from all shippers. My best advice with these is to buy from a reputable breeder or pay up at a good lfs.

Most reactions

Back