Does anyone know if this guppy has fin rot and bent spine?

Hi, its tail still seems a bit clamped but looks a bit better. Can't tell if tail was previously damaged or not maybe from petstore or from when they got transported. I've attached pics. View attachment 111019
His tail does seem to be a little bit less clamped than it was in the earlier photos. Hopefully that's a sign that the improved water conditions and the fake plants and things you've added are helping him feel a little better and less stressed, which is great. Means he stands a better chance of recovering and also a better chance of surviving any meds that might be needed. He's still a very poorly little fish though, and I'm less concerned about fin rot at this point, than I am about his long, skinny shape and general droopiness. If there is some fin rot, then keeping the water very clean is crucial, and you're already doing that.

I also only learned about keeping tanks bare bottom being stressful for fish the other day from here too; I kept mine bare bottom because of meds/cleaning etc, but it makes total sense that the lights and shadows on a bare bottom stresses them out. Makes me think of swimming out to sea, and reaching that point where the sandy bottom suddenly stops, and there's a deep drop off. You feel it in the pit of your stomach, that there could be anything down there beneath you... *shudder*. Will make sure I add a very thin layer of sand or gravel to mine in future too.

Bear in mind that this might be a pretty long process, and you might be quarantining and trying out treatments for a while. Also that these things take time, and rushing to throw more meds or treatments at it to try to make things better, faster, can kill your fish quicker than any disease. He came very close to dying, and right now, it's more like nursing him back to life after he had an almost fatal accident. It will take a while, and a lot of clean water, for his body to heal from that, and he may never look quite as normal as he likely did before that.

But there's also a very solid chance that he also has some parasite, worms, or other issue that will need to be treated, and that it's unconnected to the ammonia poisoning, but hard to pinpoint because of the near death poisoning experience. Constantly refreshed clean water is the most important factor in fish health, so for now, continue with the frequent water changes, feed good quality foods, make the quarantine tank as low stress as possible, as you have been doing, and see how he's doing after he's had some time. @Deanasue, @Colin_T and @Byron know a lot about fish health and diseases, and would have a much better idea of whether to move to another type of treatment and when to try that than I do, hopefully they can help?

Don't be tempted to decide that the healthy looking fish is okay, and move him from quarantine into your main tank. If there's a parasite or something in the sickly fish, the healthy looking fish likely has it too, and will spread it to your main tank. Make sure that they're both healthy and disease free before moving either of them into your main.

His tail does seem to be a little bit less clamped than it was in the earlier photos. Hopefully that's a sign that the improved water conditions and the fake plants and things you've added are helping him feel a little better and less stressed, which is great. Means he stands a better chance of recovering and also a better chance of surviving any meds that might be needed. He's still a very poorly little fish though, and I'm less concerned about fin rot at this point, than I am about his long, skinny shape and general droopiness. If there is some fin rot, then keeping the water very clean is crucial, and you're already doing that.

I also only learned about keeping tanks bare bottom being stressful for fish the other day from here too; I kept mine bare bottom because of meds/cleaning etc, but it makes total sense that the lights and shadows on a bare bottom stresses them out. Makes me think of swimming out to sea, and reaching that point where the sandy bottom suddenly stops, and there's a deep drop off. You feel it in the pit of your stomach, that there could be anything down there beneath you... *shudder*. Will make sure I add a very thin layer of sand or gravel to mine in future too.

Bear in mind that this might be a pretty long process, and you might be quarantining and trying out treatments for a while. Also that these things take time, and rushing to throw more meds or treatments at it to try to make things better, faster, can kill your fish quicker than any disease. He came very close to dying, and right now, it's more like nursing him back to life after he had an almost fatal accident. It will take a while, and a lot of clean water, for his body to heal from that, and he may never look quite as normal as he likely did before that.

But there's also a very solid chance that he also has some parasite, worms, or other issue that will need to be treated, and that it's unconnected to the ammonia poisoning, but hard to pinpoint because of the near death poisoning experience. Constantly refreshed clean water is the most important factor in fish health, so for now, continue with the frequent water changes, feed good quality foods, make the quarantine tank as low stress as possible, as you have been doing, and see how he's doing after he's had some time. @Deanasue, @Colin_T and @Byron know a lot about fish health and diseases, and would have a much better idea of whether to move to another type of treatment and when to try that than I do, hopefully they can help?

Don't be tempted to decide that the healthy looking fish is okay, and move him from quarantine into your main tank. If there's a parasite or something in the sickly fish, the healthy looking fish likely has it too, and will spread it to your main tank. Make sure that they're both healthy and disease free before moving either of them into your main.
Hi, thanks and i added a thin layer of substrate. Hes in quarantine now by himself as the other one seemed completely fine but was starting to be a bit of a bully so had to seperate them. Since then, blue ones very much perked up. I got then via www.aquaticstoyourdoor.co.uk

I will not be ordering online from there again. Here are some recent pics from today.

Attachments

• IMG_20200731_150824.jpg
    IMG_20200731_150824.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20200731_151126.jpg
    IMG_20200731_151126.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20200731_151049.jpg
    IMG_20200731_151049.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20200731_150702_1.jpg
    IMG_20200731_150702_1.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 79
Hi, thanks and i added a thin layer of substrate. Hes in quarantine now by himself as the other one seemed completely fine but was starting to be a bit of a bully so had to seperate them. Since then, blue ones very much perked up. I got then via www.aquaticstoyourdoor.co.uk

I will not be ordering online from there again. Here are some recent pics from today.
He does seem to have perked up a lot! Keeping fingers crossed for him that he makes a full recovery soon, you're doing a a fantastic job. Plenty of fresh clean water is the key.

Glad he isn't being bullied and that it's less stressful for him. Just keep a close eye on your main tank for that one bullying in there too, and in case he bought worms or parasites with him. Have you contacted the supplier? It's unacceptable to send you a bag of dead and dying fish, and I'd be furious. :mad:

The other one already completed a course of esha 2000 and he gas settled in to main tank.
He does seem to have perked up a lot! Keeping fingers crossed for him that he makes a full recovery soon, you're doing a a fantastic job. Plenty of fresh clean water is the key.

Glad he isn't being bullied and that it's less stressful for him. Just keep a close eye on your main tank for that one bullying in there too, and in case he bought worms or parasites with him. Have you contacted the supplier? It's unacceptable to send you a bag of dead and dying fish, and I'd be furious. :mad:
Yh i got a refund for them and I've been monitoring the other one. Ive got esha gdex, esha exit and esha ndx incase and 2 bottles of esha 2000 so will monitor and if i see any symptoms will remove carbon filter and start treatment. The yellow one though seems to be loving life in the main tank with the 12 other male guppies. Attached a pic of him just now.

Attachments

• IMG_20200731_152632.jpg
    IMG_20200731_152632.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 77

Hi, definitely does look like part of tails missing. Do you know how long it can take to regrow? Just took some pictures this morning (attached) 

Attachments

• IMG_20200801_124841.jpg
    IMG_20200801_124841.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20200801_124917.jpg
    IMG_20200801_124917.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20200801_124044_1.jpg
    IMG_20200801_124044_1.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 114
Hi, definitely does look like part of tails missing. Do you know how long it can take to regrow? Just took some pictures this morning (attached) 
Hi, Sorry, I didn't see your reply yesterday. Good to see the others looking well!
I'm not an expert on fish disease, but looking at his earlier photos compared to the recent ones, he's looking healthier and stronger overall, but the tail is definitely either rotting or got torn up by the other one bullying him before.

Personally I've used salt (2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt ((or aquarium salt, never table salt) per 20 litres of water. Keep salt in the tank for 2 weeks) to treat a guppy whose tail had been ripped almost entirely from her body after falling from the tank, and she developed fungal patches the next day. Salt treatment and keeping the water fresh with lots of water changes was enough, and you could see the tail regrowing within a week or so. When you do water changes during treatment, whether salt or meds, you need to remember that you're removing some of the salt/medication with the water change, and to calculate a top up of the meds for the volume of water you're replacing.

This is the female I treated. She was a sub-adult who got caught up somehow in the sponge filter when I lifted it out for cleaning, and fell to the cabinet the tank was on. I saw her hit the table and got her right back in, but her tail had been ripped clean off right down to the body as you can see. Just a tiny sliver of the bottom of the tail left.
She still managed to get around to eat quite well, considering, but looked poor that day and the next, with fungal patches appearing in a couple of places, so I started salt treatment.
DSCF0677.JPG
Salt helps to inhibit bacterial and fungal growth, and it was all I needed in this case, she made a full recovery pretty quickly. Here she is now, she's my largest, healthiest female, Tail-less. Can pick her out since she still has some scar tissue on her tail, but otherwise she's great.
DSCF0915.JPG
Or, since you have the eSHa-200, you can go straight to treating with that. Follow the instructions and use the full dose. eSHa do make really good medications that I trust. Please keep us updated! He looks like a pretty boy who had a hard time.

Hi, Sorry, I didn't see your reply yesterday. Good to see the others looking well!
I'm not an expert on fish disease, but looking at his earlier photos compared to the recent ones, he's looking healthier and stronger overall, but the tail is definitely either rotting or got torn up by the other one bullying him before.

Personally I've used salt (2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt ((or aquarium salt, never table salt) per 20 litres of water. Keep salt in the tank for 2 weeks) to treat a guppy whose tail had been ripped almost entirely from her body after falling from the tank, and she developed fungal patches the next day. Salt treatment and keeping the water fresh with lots of water changes was enough, and you could see the tail regrowing within a week or so. When you do water changes during treatment, whether salt or meds, you need to remember that you're removing some of the salt/medication with the water change, and to calculate a top up of the meds for the volume of water you're replacing.

This is the female I treated. She was a sub-adult who got caught up somehow in the sponge filter when I lifted it out for cleaning, and fell to the cabinet the tank was on. I saw her hit the table and got her right back in, but her tail had been ripped clean off right down to the body as you can see. Just a tiny sliver of the bottom of the tail left.
She still managed to get around to eat quite well, considering, but looked poor that day and the next, with fungal patches appearing in a couple of places, so I started salt treatment.View attachment 111417Salt helps to inhibit bacterial and fungal growth, and it was all I needed in this case, she made a full recovery pretty quickly. Here she is now, she's my largest, healthiest female, Tail-less. Can pick her out since she still has some scar tissue on her tail, but otherwise she's great.View attachment 111418Or, since you have the eSHa-200, you can go straight to treating with that. Follow the instructions and use the full dose. eSHa do make really good medications that I trust. Please keep us updated! He looks like a pretty boy who had a hard time.
Hi, no worries and yh, will keep him separate until hes fully recovered and will start esha 2000 as read that may help for fin regrowth. I do have API salt aswell so could this be used alongside esha 2000? Hes definitely happier at moment and swimming around.

Hi, no worries and yh, will keep him separate until hes fully recovered and will start esha 2000 as read that may help for fin regrowth. I do have API salt aswell so could this be used alongside esha 2000? Hes definitely happier at moment and swimming around.
I wouldn't do both. Each on their own will add some stress to his system, and overdoing it with two different things would hurt more than help. Makes sense to start with the eSHa since you have it! I only started with salt first because I ordered eSHa but had to wait for it to be delivered and wanted to start doing something to treat her right away and had salt. Just use the eSHa, and please let us know how he does! You could always use salt further down the line if eSHa doesn't seem to do the trick, but their meds are very good, so I doubt you'll need to.

He's a tough little guy. I'll admit that I didn't think he'd make it more than 24 hours after seeing the first photo. You've done a great job.

I wouldn't do both. Each on their own will add some stress to his system, and overdoing it with two different things would hurt more than help. Makes sense to start with the eSHa since you have it! I only started with salt first because I ordered eSHa but had to wait for it to be delivered and wanted to start doing something to treat her right away and had salt. Just use the eSHa, and please let us know how he does! You could always use salt further down the line if eSHa doesn't seem to do the trick, but their meds are very good, so I doubt you'll need to.

He's a tough little guy. I'll admit that I didn't think he'd make it more than 24 hours after seeing the first photo. You've done a great job.
Thanks and will let you know how he goes :)

Thanks and will let you know how he goes :)
Hi, hes doing well. His tails going to take awhile to recover but moved him over to main tank as he looked really bored last few days. Will see how he gets on. :)

Attachments

• 15968261184016167917832329230176.jpg
    15968261184016167917832329230176.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 159682613310891640457568430579.jpg
    159682613310891640457568430579.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 15968261751445384595020626071747.jpg
    15968261751445384595020626071747.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 15968261909033186597827523944714.jpg
    15968261909033186597827523944714.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 15968262397644130082269253812654.jpg
    15968262397644130082269253812654.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 88
Hi, hes doing well. His tails going to take awhile to recover but moved him over to main tank as he looked really bored last few days. Will see how he gets on. :)
He does look a lot better! Lucky little guy, good job, I think he wouldn't have made it if he'd landed with most people. Hope the buddies cheer him up, and we get to see him with a long beautiful tail soon!

He does look a lot better! Lucky little guy, good job, I think he wouldn't have made it if he'd landed with most people. Hope the buddies cheer him up, and we get to see him with a long beautiful tail soon!
Thanks and he definitely looks happier and more mentally stimulated now in main tank. He was getting bored in quarantine swimming about in and out of his cave, but could tell he was ready for company He's swimming everywhere at moment and looks like he's exploring.

Most reactions

Back