Does Any One Have Cynotilapia Afra Cobwe`s?

australia

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hey all, im getting 6 Cynotilapia Afra Cobwe at 5cm and at that size they still havent coloured up or matured!

does anyone know mutch about these fish? how long will i have to wait entill they mature?
and what is another dwarf mbuna i can have in the same tank as the Cynotilapia Afra Cobwe?

They'll most likely reach sexual maturity at the 1.5-2" mark. As for tank mates, other mbuna will work, it just depends on your tank size.

Well, I'd avoid any species that gets over 5" and any of the overly aggressive species such as melanochromis species or m.lombardoi (kenyi). Other than that, take your pick. I'd aim for a total of 12 adults. IMO 6 l.caeruleus would look awesome with the afras. :good:

Well, I'd avoid any species that gets over 5" and any of the overly aggressive species such as melanochromis species or m.lombardoi (kenyi). Other than that, take your pick. I'd aim for a total of 12 adults. IMO 6 l.caeruleus would look awesome with the afras. :good:

okay cool mate, i already have some nice electrics so i will put them in with them:) i have 6 aswell :good:

Speaking of.. haha i just got 7 of these little guys off of aquabid(Cynotilapia Afra cobue mozambique) about a month and a half ago. they are awesome. great personality. Mine are probably reaching an inch. I find them to color up during feeding. its really weird. but other than that they have a soft color. its not a bad look just different. After i had them for 3 weeks i moved them over to my main tank. which has 4 red zebra 4 yellow labs and 6 syno petricola. when i first added them in one fish took a nip at one. the
stayed in the rocks for maybe 3 min. Ever since i havent seen one problem. after about a month i have 1 male that is staying colored up a lot of the time. he tends to back down when the alpha zebra comes by though haha. over all i think these fish are awesome so far. good luck! :good:

This is what mine looked like 1 week after having them.

IMG_3985.jpg

IMG_3986.jpg

IMG_3984.jpg

you'd better not see my tank then lol

i have about 60 fish in a 200litre tank lookie

ps i dont have aggression and i have at least 5 4" adults

P301107_2250.jpg

jake

Ive heard (on another cichlid forum) that 25 fish in 55g is a good number to aim for, as jake just pointed out though more can work.

Speaking of.. haha i just got 7 of these little guys off of aquabid(Cynotilapia Afra cobue mozambique) about a month and a half ago. they are awesome. great personality. Mine are probably reaching an inch. I find them to color up during feeding. its really weird. but other than that they have a soft color. its not a bad look just different. After i had them for 3 weeks i moved them over to my main tank. which has 4 red zebra 4 yellow labs and 6 syno petricola. when i first added them in one fish took a nip at one. the
stayed in the rocks for maybe 3 min. Ever since i havent seen one problem. after about a month i have 1 male that is staying colored up a lot of the time. he tends to back down when the alpha zebra comes by though haha. over all i think these fish are awesome so far. good luck! :good:

This is what mine looked like 1 week after having them.

IMG_3985.jpg

IMG_3986.jpg

IMG_3984.jpg

looks good mate, what size are they?

snake, cover up those cords and get a back ground for your tank. Your eyes should be drawn to the fish NOT the cords, tubes, back wall.... :sick:

youre going to LOVE the afras when their adults!!!

Ive heard (on another cichlid forum) that 25 fish in 55g is a good number to aim for, as jake just pointed out though more can work.

160 liters is ~42 gallons, hence my lower stocking suggestion.

And yes, you can overstock an mbuna tank quite a bit if you have excellent filtration, however, I always suggest starting small and working your way up. Besides, IMO a tank that showcases decent numbers of just a few species looks much nicer than a tank packed full of just 2 or 3 of a lot of species. To each their own though. Although, I'd say 25 in a 55gal is a little high.

looks good mate, what size are they?

Mine are probably reaching an inch.

:good:

you could overstock a little more, per haps like this

50.jpg

hehehehe

in all fairness, it does depend what you want in the tank, i like a nice mix, others prefere two to three species, as long as you have good filtration like me, your fine

jake

okay back to my Cynotilapia Afra Cobwe :shout:

at what size will they start to breed?, and has anyone got a pic of a female Cynotilapia Afra Cobwe when fully mature?

at what size will they start to breed?, and has anyone got a pic of a female Cynotilapia Afra Cobwe when fully mature?

Since they max out at ~3", they should start breeding around 2", maybe even 1.5-1.75". If you check out the pics (just click on the drop-down under the pic) here, you'll see a young and a fully grown female.

[URL="http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1371"]http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1371[/URL]

Since they max out at ~3", they should start breeding around 2", maybe even 1.5-1.75". If you check out the pics (just click on the drop-down under the pic) here, you'll see a young and a fully grown female.

<a href="http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1371" target="_blank">http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1371</a>

sweet mine should start breeding now then:)

Most reactions

Back