Does Any Body Reccomend Aqua Clear Power Filters..

joejoehead

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i just purchased a 46 gallon bowfront and wanted to know if the hagen aqua clear (50) is reccomended.... i heard it was great. powerfull and quiet... just want to see what you guys and girls think of it.... did you try it? do you have it?

I recommend AquaClear power filters. I'm currently using three of them (50/30/20) and the 50 has been running nonstop for over 10 years. They are quiet, they have an adjustable output, you can put a variety of media in them and they are inexpensive if you buy them online. http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl36...b_value_0=Hagen

Media I use from top to bottom:
  • BioMax ceramic rings
  • filter floss
  • activated carbon (only when needed)
  • sponge cut in half
  • sponge
I would consider a 70 rather than a 50 for your setup though. :)

I recommend AquaClear power filters. I'm currently using three of them (50/30/20) and the 50 has been running nonstop for over 10 years. They are quiet, they have an adjustable output, you can put a variety of media in them and they are inexpensive if you buy them online. http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl36...b_value_0=Hagen

Media I use from top to bottom:
  • BioMax ceramic rings
  • filter floss
  • activated carbon (only when needed)
  • sponge cut in half
  • sponge
I would consider a 70 rather than a 50 for your setup though. :)
why would i need to get a 70 the 50 is more than it needs.. but i get you a little.. but how far away will i need to keep it away from the wall with the 70 and the 50... due to size.

If you have any intent of going to CO2, the HOB's are not a real good idea. They cause a lot of surface disturbance which will result in the loss of a lot of the injected CO2. Look at a cannister filter if the goal is CO2. Also, it is wise to institute redundancy. Use 2 filters if possible. Cleaning may be stagered thereby protecting your biofilter culture and a packed up filter doesn't terminate filtration in the tank.

If you have any intent of going to CO2, the HOB's are not a real good idea. They cause a lot of surface disturbance which will result in the loss of a lot of the injected CO2. Look at a cannister filter if the goal is CO2. Also, it is wise to institute redundancy. Use 2 filters if possible. Cleaning may be stagered thereby protecting your biofilter culture and a packed up filter doesn't terminate filtration in the tank.
i did not under stant a word u said.. the topic is is a aqua clear filter good and the size that i need for a 46 gallon tank.. and how far i will need to keep it away from the wall.....with a 50 and a 70

i did not under stant a word u said.. the topic is is a aqua clear filter good and the size that i need for a 46 gallon tank.. and how far i will need to keep it away from the wall.....with a 50 and a 70

You need to address the type of filtration, not the specific product. A HOB (hang on back (of tank)) filter is a type of filter. A cannister is another type of filter that is usually underneath the tank. The A/C is a HOB and A/C is a brand of filter manufactured by Hagen, NOT a type of filter. My point is the difference between the TYPE of filtration, not the specific product. If you are contemplating CO2 ANY HOB is not a good idea as they cause surface disturbance which results in the loss of the injected CO2. As far as filter size is concerned the water throughput of the filter should be 10X the tank volume for a HOB and 5x the tank volume for a cannister. Simply determine the throughput of the filter from the manufacturers specs and apply the rule of thumb. Over filtration is way ahead of under filtration. The Hagen A/C's are excellent HOB filters and are a good purchase, if that type of filter suits your current and expected future needs.
Vic

You need to address the type of filtration, not the specific product. A HOB (hang on back (of tank)) filter is a type of filter. A cannister is another type of filter that is usually underneath the tank. The A/C is a HOB and A/C is a brand of filter manufactured by Hagen, NOT a type of filter. My point is the difference between the TYPE of filtration, not the specific product. If you are contemplating CO2 ANY HOB is not a good idea as they cause surface disturbance which results in the loss of the injected CO2. As far as filter size is concerned the water throughput of the filter should be 10X the tank volume for a HOB and 5x the tank volume for a cannister. Simply determine the throughput of the filter from the manufacturers specs and apply the rule of thumb. Over filtration is way ahead of under filtration. The Hagen A/C's are excellent HOB filters and are a good purchase, if that type of filter suits your current and expected future needs.
Vic
its a hag off filter..

Vic
its a hag off filter..

My curiosity has gotten the best of me. What is a "its a hag off filter.."???????????????????????????????
I would suggest that you reread my post and devote some time to understanding what I have said!
Vic

My curiosity has gotten the best of me. What is a "its a hag off filter.."???????????????????????????????
I would suggest that you reread my post and devote some time to understanding what I have said!
Vic
srry a hang off filter aqua clear 50 and 70.. i need to find out if its goood for me to use a 50 with my 46 gallon tank.... how far away will it be from the wall ... and how much room will it be away from the wall..????????

Vic

Rudeness wasn't really called for mate...

Aqua Clear hob's are one of the better ones out there. The AC 50 will need about 3" of clearance between the back of the tank & the wall. For a 46 gallon I would go with the AC 70. I used to run the 50's on 29 gallon tanks, a 46 gallon would need a little more filtration. The AC 70 will need about 3 1/2" of clearance.

Vic

Rudeness wasn't really called for mate...

He wasnt being rude, and I fully agree with what he is saying.

While the aquaclear filter may be good, I also have to wonder if joejoehead has considered any of what vic is talking about.

Is the aquaclear a good filter? YES it sure is.
Did vic give him an answer about sizing? YES ... 10x the tank volume..... so can he use the A/C 50 on his 46 gallon tank?? well, i see that 46x10 = 460, and that the A/C 50, provides 200GPH .... therefore in my mind, that logic leads me to believe, NO it will not be a very good filter in a tank of his size.

About the other stuff, Take into consideration everything vic has said.... has joejoehead considered any of it? does he have CO2? will he have CO2? if so, then HOB filters period wouldnt be too effective for him.... aquar clear, penguin or otherwise..... leading me to believe that the A/C 50, again, wouldnt be a good choice for that particular tank.

in summary... is the A/C 50 a good filter..... it sure is, absolutly one of the best.....
Can he/Should he use the A/C 50 on his particular tank?? I would have to say no based on all of the above.

But i dont even have fish yet....... so whats my opinion worth :)

Most reactions

Back