Do you wash your test tubes with soap?

Bettapuppy

Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Kind of a dumb question 😝. I used my API master test kit for the first time today and was wondering about how to clean the test tubes afterwards. Do you guys just rinse them out or do you use dish soap to clean them?

I rinse mine with tap water, then half fill and shake a few times, then drain for a couple of minutes then dry inside with a screwed up paper tissue (Kleenex type).

Hello. I haven't tested the tank water in several years. But, when I did, I used warm tap water to rinse the tube. Sometimes, there was a little residue in the tubes, so I used a small wire brush to do an extra thorough job of cleaning. API has test strips that can just be dipped into the tank water. You don't need the tubes.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

I would never immerse a strip in the tank itself, if I used strips I would remove a cup of water (with a tank-only cup) and test the water in that. Then rinse and dry the cup when finished.

Hello. The API test strip can be dipped directly into the tank water, per the manufacturer. Tetra also has a testing strip can be dipped directly into the tank water, no separate testing tubes are needed. There's nothing on the strip that's harmful to fish or plants.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

I also rinse my tubes as soon as I've the test. Nitrite in particular leaves a residue on the glass if left standing for a while - that's the reason I use a tissue to dry the tubes as that picks up any residue showing the tube needs to be washed again

I start by rinsing both the tube and the cap in tank water. Then I fill the tube and do the test. As soon as the test is done I dump the tube contents and then rinse the tube and cap in my tap water. This is from private well and contains no chlorine/chloramine. I then put the cap on the bottom of the tube and put it back into by test kit box. Used tubes go on one side to dry and the dry usable ones are in the opposite side of the box.

I have10+ tubes because you get new ones every time you get a new kit. The only time I test any more is when I am running my bio-farm. Then I need to test for ammonia, KH and pH plus I also use my digital TDS tester. I cannot remember the last time I tested for nitrate or even nitrite. I do have those kits as well as the GH kit. I replace some kits with expired dates having never used them.

The most common cause of death in my tanks is old age. I did acidentally wipe out two tanks -one with 50+ amano shrimp and the other with zebra plecos because I forgot a 5 gal. bucket was filled with bleach water for plants. I broke for lunch and when I returned to tanks work I accidentally poured it into the big can from which refill water is pumped into tanks. DUMB!

edited to fix typos

Last edited:
I occasionally clean the test tubes with soapy water then let dry. Not everytime though.

Never wash anything that goes into the tank with soap. The test tubes would probably be fine just as long as you don’t dip it in the tank to fill it. Washing them with soap is probably unnecessary just a rinse would be good enough.

Not only would I never dip test strips in the tank, I never put the test tubes in the tank either. I have a pipette which goes in the tank, used for nothing else, and I fill the tube to the line with the pipette while holding the tube over the cover glass so I can't accidentally drop it in.

Most reactions

Back