Do You Use Carbon In Your Filter?

Do you use Carbon in your filter (the black media)?

• YES, definitely and I believe it is beneficial.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES, but I don’t know why, it came with the tank.

• YES, but only to remove any medication in the water, otherwise NO.

• NO, I think it is a waste of money & does nothing.

• NO, because my tank is planted.

• NO, my tank came with it and I consciously removed it.

• Total voters
In my 2 tanks with AC filters (which have seperate carbon "pillows", I do not use them normally. In my other 2 tanks which have filter cartridges with carbon in them or that come with carbon to put in them - I use the carbon.

Having no choice to match my use, I am going to pick the middle "yes" option, which most closely matches me. However, the "I don't know why" part of that answer does not apply to me.

I'd suggest adding another option, "YES, on an intentional, as-needed basis, but not as a regular, every-day part of my filtration media." Carbon does have other as-needed uses, such as removing color, odor, and other contaminants, that aren't directly related to removing *medicine* from the water, so I think expanding the option might get a more accurate result. I know it's where my vote would go.

I used to replace it every month in my AquaClears and spent a small fortune. After finding this site and reading comments I now only use it for reasons as Darkmoon Bettas stated.

Rather than buying AquaClear ($$) branded stuff, I bought a small bulk container of activated carbon and use it in reusable media bags. This would be a cheap alternative for those who are looking to use it all the time. :)

I use a magnum canister filter, And I put carbon and zeolite in it about every month. I will probably wait 6 weeks this time, as the carbon and zeolite looked clean when I changed it last.

I use it to keep my well water crystal clear. I ran the filter without it and could only see half way into my tank, which is 36" from the front glass, to the back corner.

I will try other devices, but need to know what and why?

I also have some see grass, a few water Lillys, and java moss which all seem happy with the water, and its quailty. they are growing Fast!

keep some in the house, never really use it though, would only do it to remove medications, but just generally do that with water changes anyway! :rolleyes:

I have planted tanks so never used carbon. Even in my puffer tank that's partially planted i dont use it.

I have planted tanks so never used carbon. Even in my puffer tank that's partially planted i dont use it.

Please forgive my ignorance, but does carbon affect plants? I have a planted tank and also use carbon. I presume this is not advisable?

@highfire,
the most efficient way in which a plant can absorb the nutrients it requires is through its leaves, i.e. directly from the water column. Otherwise it will get them through it's roots i.e. from a nutrient rich fertilizer substrate should one exist.

If you use carbon then this will clean the water column of these nutrients, hence those with planted tanks tend to remove carbon and only use it to remove meds.

This is just MY opinion, the discussion for the use of carbon is on-going (and heated!):
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=169061

Andy

Thanks for that, Andy. I'm being swayed towards removing my carbon. I have noticed that my plants have been suffering somewhat, I thought at first it was due to either too much light or the effects of being nibbled at.
Now it seems it may be because of the carbon.

Hmm, I doubt that it would be because of your carbon though...

Tell you what, why don't you start a new topic over in the planted tanks section about problems with your plants and hopefully nip any problems you have in the bud (pardon the disgraseful pun).

Andy

Nope. Don't see any point- it takes up space I could use for bio media and most importantly, I have better things to waste my money on. Like fish and chocolate. And better things to waste my time on than changing it every few weeks. Like buying fish and eating chocolate.

Nope. Don't see any point- it takes up space I could use for bio media and most importantly, I have better things to waste my money on. Like fish and chocolate. And better things to waste my time on than changing it every few weeks. Like buying fish and eating chocolate.

Right, seems like I'm going to have to throw my weight behind PaPeRo/Alphabetta/Hahaha after all. Who ever heard of carbon filters making you fat? A thousand dentists can't be wrong- carbon filters it is! :p

Most reactions

Back