Do You Prefer Fewer Large Fish In A Tank Or More Small Ones?

Depends on the size of the tank. The fish need to be in proportion to the tank size. Big fish are great as long as they have plenty of room. To me, a fish in the "minimum possible tank size" just doesn't look natural and ends up being rather boring as the fish don't seem to exhibit their natural behaviours. I have a 33gal / 3ft tank and although I could put something larger in there, I prefer the look of the smaller fish I have in it. I really like schooling fish that interact with each other, so even if I had a 180 gal tank I would rather have a group of say, Frontosa, Tropheus or Discus with compatable tankmates than one or two very large fish. I like the interaction between fish so a community tank is my choice, with fish as large as can be comfortably accomodated.

why just have one or the other, we've a nice mix of everything from an Oscar to endlers. we've single species tank's (sort of) for the betta's, i.e. they're kept by themselves so no other species! Just started a SW tank too, like lots of variety. I'd also like a discus tank one day so that'd be a proper single species tank.

:D

Great opinions everyone!!! But does anybody really like single specie tanks?
Owning a frogfish that sits in its own tank, and having seen CFC's electric eel in a single species tank, I can safely say that I am a fan of single species tanks.

Both of these fish are great in their own right, and are incompatible really with tank mates.

big predatory fish and cool species tanks are great but small cute fish have no place in my tanks :)unless they are on the menu of course

Most reactions

Back