Do They Dye Bettas?

Oh, i get it ... thats dumb. Why dont they ban the importation of died/dyed fish into the uk, that makes more sense.

AQUAKING

I don't think they'd usually dye bettas, since they already come in so many colours. I can't think of a colour that bettas don't come in.

Without pictures its hard to tell, Aquaking, but It sounds more probable to me that your girl is a Marble... ie, a mix of whatever color she is and white. Marbles are known for having their patterns shift a little over time, so I could see where if one spot started to fade or whatnot you might think it dye. Does she look anything like this?
76d2679b14ea90a68cbefcaacb3b3fea.jpg

She is mainly white/pink, she has shiny fins and tants why i thought she was dyed. Thinking of that she has a few black spots on her, there not spots but patches. I hope she is marbled and not dyed. Does anyone have pics of white/ pinky female bettas. Ill see if i can google one.

AQUAKING

I think the chance of finding a dyed female is minimal; on the rare occasions that bettas are dyed, it is usually the males, since people tend to prefer them. Shiny fins isn't anything abnormal, so I wouldn't be too worried. :good:

Why i was studying my bettas to see if they were dyed, which i think shes not, I noticed that the they were flaring at my keyholes. They had their fins spread out all facing one direction (at the keyhols) and rearing up all together, as if backing eachother.

1)is flaring common in girls?
2)if yes to 1) do they do it in groups to back eachother up?

AQUAKING

P.S (Ashline to win Big Brother)<--- an english thing

Female bettas can be almost as agressive as the males, which is why many people keep them singly or only with carefully monitored groups of female bettas in highly planted tanks with plenty of hiding spaces. Honestly, I'm more worried about them picking on each other, as you have 3 females - which is below the reccomendation of 4-6. Perhaps if they have enough other fish to take their agression out on, and have plenty of plants and caves to hide in, they won't butcher each other, but all female tanks should be very closely monitored. Personally, I'd get a few back-up tanks of at least 1g in case they fight and need to live singly.
As for females teaming up? I'm sure it is a possibility. I know that sometimes when you have 3 girls, the two most dominant females will work together to attack the most submissive, so it is possible. It is equally likely, though, that they just all happen to dislike the keyholes. What do keyholes look like? If they are bright in color or have long fins, they could be mistaken for male bettas, which would explain why the females are behaving so agressively.

Heh, see? This is the problem with buying bettas against the advice of board members. We really do have good intentions, even when we are being discouraging ;)

I had a blue/black female once that flared at EVERYTHING - me, the cats, my mum, the keyboard, water glasses, the curtains.... The large females can get really aggressive and territorial. She also built bubble nest a few times. (I think she had gender issues, personally.)

As for the dyed betta question - I've had two light pink/white males. I got them when they where still really really tiny, and as they grew they developed black and red in "spots" not only on their body, but also on their fins - but it wasn't until they were about 6 months old, and the spots just kept spreading. (I had a white male with black gills turn into a red backed, red spotted finned betta. If I hadn't seen the transformation, I'd have thought someone switched fish on me!) Marble bettas have been known to change coloration as they grow, and this is probably what your female will do as well.

The female bettas are fine at the mo, they have decided to give the keyholes back the cave and swim happily together along the top. I will buy and set up 3, 2 gallon tanks if someting goes wrong E.G. a fight breaks out. I think my pink one is changing its tail is going red, is this colour change or an illness. The agression has died down and they just swim along the top out of the way of the larger fish. As for the flaring i havent seen anymore (sort of glad, i was getting worried). The females wouldent have mistaken the keyholes for males as they are browny/white and their fins are quite small. Overall they are a good community fish (at the moment) and seem very happy.

Thanks

AQUAKING

Mine are not dyed! Calm down betta girl, are you trying to say i shouldent keep them!

Yea her words were a little vague but they werent directed towards you.

Most reactions

Back