Do They Dye Bettas?

AQUAKING

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My pinky white female looks like she has been dyed, do they dye them?
sorry can get pics (crapy camera)

AQUAKING

haven't seen one yet.
so yours might be the first if you managed to post some pics.

DeathByDyeing.org would beg to differ... I have a feeling it is uncommon since most come in a nice array of colors, but never assume that people wouldn't stoop so low to make a profit.
The page states that bettas are sometimes sold under "Colored Fighters" and come in deep shades of purple, black, green and yellow, typically in patterns or combinations.

I realy hope shes not dyed. I hate to go to the pet shop and see the dyed fish :angry: , they look better natural (i hate the people that dye fish, they just "poison" a fish for a quick buck) :angry: . The only reason i thought she was dyed was she has glowing fins, parts of them are clear and others are glowing white, is this correct or is she dyed. please say she isant dyed.

AQUAKING

:crazy: I dont want them to be dyed, but one of my bettas leans on his hydro heater and if you wipe it with a white kitchen roll purple comes off and that is his colour..

Lol, thats not the problem she's saying that she thinks the betta is dyed because his color is coming off. :fun:

Oh,...........lol :lol: i sure hope she not, when they are dyed isant it injected not slapped on.

AQUAKING

Injection is the most common, though I vaguely remember reading somewhere that other times, the fish are dipped in an irritant that destroys the slime coat. They are then dipped in dye, and exposed to another irritant that stimulates slime coat reproduction; I think dyed oscars and tetras are done by this method. Both, of course, are painful and dangerous to the fish's health. Apparently some of the dyes used are highly carcinogenic and cause pathological changes in the tissue; dyed fish are destined to a life of poor health. :-(

Most reactions

Back