Do Test Kits Expire/go Out Of Date?

Alps

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Wondering because I found a master test kit thats 2-3 years old and it includes all the tests, unlike the test kits now.

Sorry about all the posts, just about to buy supplies.

Generally they are said to have around a 6 months shelf life once opened and still withing "best before" date.

Generally they are said to have around a 6 months shelf life once opened and still withing "best before" date.

K, I guess its safe to say the kit this man is selling may be expired.... very expired, even though it hasn't been opened.

Lots of chemicals will break down over time. Some in seconds or minutes some in thousands or millions of years. If there is a use by date on the bottle this would be the time at which one or more chemicals is likely to have broken down enough to yield inaccurate results. Air may be likely to breakdown the chemicals faster so that would be why you should use it in a certain time after opening. I wouldn't buy old test kits or meds etc.

Lots of chemicals will break down over time. Some in seconds or minutes some in thousands or millions of years. If there is a use by date on the bottle this would be the time at which one or more chemicals is likely to have broken down enough to yield inaccurate results. Air may be likely to breakdown the chemicals faster so that would be why you should use it in a certain time after opening. I wouldn't buy old test kits or meds etc.

thanks for your advice, i decided not to go after the test kit.

Most reactions

Back