Do shell dweller jump?

I don’t know if they jump, but if they do you could drop the water level a couple inches from the top, you could fit some plexiglass or acrylic and make a diy lid, or you could check Petco’s site, they are usually pretty decently priced.

I don’t know if they jump, but if they do you could drop the water level a couple inches from the top, you could fit some plexiglass or acrylic and make a diy lid, or you could check Petco’s site, they are usually pretty decently priced.
thats helpful thanks! Im going to read a bit about if they jump or not.

When you say “shell dweller”, do you mean invertebrates? (Snails, hermit crabs, etc)

All fish can jump, regardless if they are prone to jumping or not.
@Crispii has provided you with the correct answer.

All fish can jump but shell dweller cichlids are not renown for it. However, that doesn't mean they never go over the wall and dry out on the floor. If the water quality isn't perfect or something startles the fish, any fish can jump out. Having the water level down a couple of inches below the top usually helps, but the safest way to go is with coverglass. Get coverglass that is 4, 5 or 6mm thick because it is less likely to chip or crack compared to thinner coverglass sold at pet shops. Most pet shops can order you in thicker coverglass, or go to a glazier and get it from them. But ask the glazier to sand/ smooth the edges so you don't cut yourself.

It's almost like waiting for a fish to jump out of the tank to see if it does jump. I've lost a couple throughout my fishkeeping years that I thought would never jump, Still, I keep my fish tanks open. Sometimes when fish get spooked or chased by other fish, they dart around in all directions, and they can easily fly out of the tank.

Most reactions

Back